Did anyone see this $7000 bottle?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hemihampton

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: AlexD

Yes, it is my bottle. It is in fact embossed too. The guy has bought from me quite a few times before and follows my eBay store. He found this bottle of mine and offered me "7000 USD" in an eBay message for it. And he purchased it right after. It's a very nice bottle though, and I have indeed never seen one of these [8|]

Wasn't the original Opening bid $11,000.00 Looks like he talked you down? LEON.

cokebottle1916

Reaction score
I need this guy to contact me ..I have a bottle to discuss with him..Gary

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I, too have sold some Coca Cola bottles to Sheikh Saoud Al thani and I'm trying to sell him some more. I have mixed emotions though about the effect this one buyer is having on the hobby and what the long term effects will be. For now it is driving up prices of the older Coke and Pepsi bottles but I'm assuming they want only one example of each bottle. So after one astronomical sale of a certain bottle will the price return to the previous level? Or, will we see bottles that used to sell for $100. now priced at $500. for awhile until the shock wears off.
Also, I'm wondering if the Shiek's bottle buying intersts will spread. One of the bottles they bought from me was a 1923 Christmas Coke hobbleskirt. I didn't know they had interest in hobbleskirts, that would be a whole new ballgame. Then will it spread to Dr Pepper, 7 Up, local ACLs? Or will they suddenly lose interest in bottles altogether?
I kinda feel sorry for the serious bottle collectors in those categories affected by the Sheik. There are some rare bottles being sold that may never be available again. If I had more I'd sell them now as it seems like a once in a lifetime opportunity but again, mixed emotions.
Jay

I was a bit surprised and confused when they bought a bottle from me. THey seem to have several ebay accounts. I guess its all chump change for them. I dont know what the effect will be on the hobby. THey dont seem to be very discriminating about what they are buying. As a seller I say yea!! As a buyer/collector I say hmm. If he starts with medicines I may be screwed. Although I get outbid by deep pocket americans all the time.

jays emporium

Reaction score
Yes, Matt, I was thinkin sodas now then they could very well move to Bitters, Historical Flasks and medicines wouldn't be far behind. I hope that is not the case. It would really screw up the antique bottle market.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
The odd range of stuff they are buying is quite strange.
They bought a bunch of bottle caps so I suppose they are trying to recreate complete bottles for display?

I would say in these days of low return investments maybe bottles/american antiques is one way to diversify but they items they are buying dont seem targeted for investment purposes. More like for some type of specific display or museum.

export of historic american artifacts seems a bit sad but we have done it to many other countries over the years so its only fair turn about.
They japanese have already bought up most of our old Levis :)

JayBeck

Reaction score
Jay and Matt...my thoughts exactly. What kind impact is this going to ultimately have on the hobby? Exorbitant prices for Coke and Pepsi bottles may make some collectors look to other categories ultimately leading to a steep decline in prices when the Sheikh is done buying. If his collecting interests spread to other categories I think it will have a very short term positive affect on the hobby but I don't know what kind of long term impact, if any, his buying habits will have on this hobby.

I did a bit more research after reading all the posts here and found there is a good deal of information about Sheikh Saud Al thani available online. Apparently he has been buying in this manner for many years, overpaying for art and antiques. Granted some of these pieces are absolutely amazing but the prices are out of sight. Sheikh Saud Al thani

I imagine that once the museum is complete he might not be buying bottles anymore and move on to something else. Then again, this might just be the start of a much more extensive buying frenzy if he takes an interest in other types of bottles. This guy seems like a real wild card but I do know one thing for sure, now is the time to sell Coke & Pepsi. These high prices could persist for years but then again he might be done buying tomorrow.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
Looks like his spree may be coming to an end soon. He proabably hurt the art and antiquities markets but doubt there will be any lasting effect on bottles.

hemihampton

Reaction score
Yeah, looks like he's only biding on 2 bottles a day now instead of 200.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdtivey