DOES IT HAVE VALUE?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

sheridan

Reaction score
I am not a bottle collector. However, I do have an old Smirnoff Vodka Bottle that belonged to my grandfather or my great grandfather. The bottle still has the original labeling in Russian and, I guess looking at it a bit more claosely, it must be less than 98 years old since it mentions the FDA Act of 1906. However, it was an old bottle in the 1950's and so I expect it dates back to some time before 1910. It is in black glass shaped like a bear sitting on its hind legs. Comments would be welcomed; wish I had a digital camera and could put a picture out but I don't have one and wouldn't know how to put the picture out if I did.

bigkitty53

Reaction score
Hi Sheridan,
Welcome to the forum!Are you sure that's a Smirnoff vodka?Black glass bear figurals are traditionally associated with Kummel(a caraway seed flavored schnapps)Value maybe $40-50 US.What does the label say exactly?

KAT

sheridan

Reaction score
The label on the front is entirely in Russian; I cannot even type it here because the letters in their alphabet are different.

There are two labels on the rear side of the bottle. One says "House of Comerce. P.A. SMIRNOFF, Moskow, Produce of Russia." and the larger label says, "BLACK BEAR _ _ _ MEL, From P. A. Smirnoff, Moscow, Russia. Guaranteed by J.B. Marlin under the Food and Drug Act, June 30th, 1906. U.-S. Serial Number 11 083. J. B. Marlin, 1134 Broadway, New York, Sole Agent for the United States."

It sure seems this is an early Smirnoff Vodka bottle.

Monsonant

Reaction score
Did a quick search and found this one . If this is the bottle it just sold for $65 with a chip on the lip and with out the label . Dave A

Sorry Photo wont upload , I'll try again later

bigkitty53

Reaction score
Didn't know that Smirnoff produced Kummel but dollars to donuts that's what the missing letters would spell[;)]

KAT

sheridan

Reaction score
I believe that it is "Kummel" but not knowing that there was even such a thing or word as "Kummel" I didn't wish to guess that it was "Kummel" if you know what I mean. But from what I can see of the label that is what it appears to say and while I thought the bottle was a Smirnoff Vodka bottle it does not actually say "Vodka" anywhere on the label. What is "Kummel"?

To Monsonant - if you could try that picture again maybe you have found it already. My bottle has no chip, has 99% of the labeling, and get this, while the bottle is empty, it still has the original cork in it.

Monsonant

Reaction score
I have tried 6 times to list the photo , a process I am very familiar with . Keep getting a File too large error. Photo size is a tiny 33k ?????I'll try again later

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
louieb583