Doing an old house cleanout,...beer can collection?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

rockbot

Reaction score
Joe, our very own forum member (The Badger) collects beer cans and cones. He would be happy to hear this.

Hows the weight on the tube? I real nut buster eh? I got one that I use for a cattle trough.[;)]

I would check that place out from base to beam![:D]

ollie

Reaction score
Sounds like an awesome place. Hope the local historical society/genealogy groups know about the tombstones- could be important info there. I know of an instance where a black community got a hundred years of history back when all the stones from a lost cemetery turned up buried under the steps of the church

div2roty

Reaction score
Swiz,..that's a distinct possibility,...as soon as we find out when we can go back. The closest we were to a privy today,was a cast iron bathtub that we had to get down a flight of stairs, and up the hill out of the backyard, and into the back of the truck. I did however find this little gem sitting on the far back of a kitchen shelf. Anyone know, is this a bean pot,...or anything else maybe about it? I also got a cool antique rocking chair, some old license plates , a glass piggybank, a fossil book for Laur, and some antique postcards....

Attachment (1)

Joe

Joe,

Its a York Pa piece, although the P is not for PA but for Pfaltzgraff. Its a circa 1930 mark on it. The company goes back to the 1840s or so and did lots of salt glaze blue decorated things. The company just closed a few years ago. Its probably "worth" $20-30.

RedGinger

Reaction score
Gotta get in there. I'll help. If a collector wants those beer cans or anything else we find and can't keep, that would certainly be helpful! Joe worked really hard and I think it caught up with him. I'm thinking being exposed to a house in that condition (filthy, black mold), can make you really sick. Hopefully, he'll be back to his old self in no time. Next time, masks will be worn!

I think the old tub stamped 1867 that they pulled out sounds pretty awesome. Joe said it was a little wider than our old tub, which is a very old clawfoot tub, too. He painted the outside of ours, years ago and put a sealant on the inside. That has worn off, which makes it very hard to clean, but also gives better traction. I find the Mr. Magic erasers work wonders on things like that.

I'm not sure of the story about how the stones got there. It seems pretty terrible if they were really removed from a re-located cemetery!! I'm thinking it would be a great place to do EVPs and take some pictures, if you don't break your neck falling over the former hoarder inhabitants trash[:'(][X(]

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: rockbot

Joe, our very own forum member (The Badger) collects beer cans and cones. He would be happy to hear this.

Hows the weight on the tube? I real nut buster eh? I got one that I use for a cattle trough.[;)]

I would check that place out from base to beam![:D]

Oh yeah Dave will go nuts on the beer cans (cone tops)

toddrandolph

Reaction score
Now THAT sounds like a good time. I've been in a number of houses like that and would do just about anything to get in another. There are likely to be good things hiding just about anywhere. I've seen it all from black mold to crack pipes to rats and roaches and everything else. In my opinion, the black mold thing is a bit overblown.

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Tony and Rick,...thanks for the tip about the "Badge"...I don't remember how many were conetops,...I just glanced in a couple of boxes...If the permission guy doesn't want them, (which I don't think he does) They're Dave's....Rick, If Dave doesn't get to see this thread, Is it just the cones he collects? I'm pretty sure there's lots of old steel ones in there too.

Matt, Thanks for the info on the Platzgraff piece...It's in really clean shape, and we'll probably keep it for our kitchen display.

As far as the stones in the foundation go, I'm not sure why they're there, unless perhaps they were replaced when (and if) the graves were moved,..and the practical minded old timers figured, why waste a cut stone?...I was only able to find this little snip of info on the internet.

"******* Avenue Cemetery and the burial spot known as "The Cemetery behind the old ****** School" are surely one in the same. It is also believed that it may have been know as the ******* Cemetery. All traces of this cemetery have been decimated with time. One burial was reported to have been buried there: Claude Buchanan, 2 ys. at time of death. Claude's father was a Civil War Vet. who is buried at Oak Hill Cemetery, Bradford.

Tony,...the tub was brutally heavy...We knocked a hole in it near the foot end, and slid a pipe thru that and the faucet holes to carry it from the house to the truck. I think whatever was in that house got to me,I woke up heaving[:'(]...better now though.[:D]

Ollie,..thanks for the comments, and welcome to the forum,...I'm going to inquire if the historical society knows of the stones or not....

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: JOETHECROW

Tony and Rick,...thanks for the tip about the "Badge"...I don't remember how many were conetops,...I just glanced in a couple of boxes...If the permission guy doesn't want them, (which I don't think he does) They're Dave's....Rick, If Dave doesn't get to see this thread, Is it just the cones he collects? I'm pretty sure there's lots of old steel ones in there too.

Matt, Thanks for the info on the Platzgraff piece...It's in really clean shape, and we'll probably keep it for our kitchen display.

As far as the stones in the foundation go, I'm not sure why they're there, unless perhaps they were replaced when (and if) the graves were moved,..and the practical minded old timers figured, why waste a cut stone?...I was only able to find this little snip of info on the internet.

"******* Avenue Cemetery and the burial spot known as "The Cemetery behind the old ****** School" are surely one in the same. It is also believed that it may have been know as the ******* Cemetery. All traces of this cemetery have been decimated with time. One burial was reported to have been buried there: Claude Buchanan, 2 ys. at time of death. Claude's father was a Civil War Vet. who is buried at Oak Hill Cemetery, Bradford.

Tony,...the tub was brutally heavy...We knocked a hole in it near the foot end, and slid a pipe thru that and the faucet holes to carry it from the house to the truck. I think whatever was in that house got to me,I woke up heaving[:'(]...better now though.[:D]

Ollie,..thanks for the comments, and welcome to the forum,...I'm going to inquire if the historical society knows of the stones or not....

I think he collects others to Joe.I'll talk to him soon.

tigue710

Reaction score
More dangerous then the black mold is the critter crap dust... It will make you hella sick... I cleaned out a farm house that had inches of coon crap built up in it and it destroyed me... Sounds like fun either way though and I wouldn't bat an eye To go in one again! One of my better finds out of that house was a 1782, (shoot I can't remember the exact date now), Connecticut copper. One wall had come down on this one and it was sitting on the hand hewn beam sill right out in the open. Also pulled a bunch of full local blobs, some furniture and other odds and ends... The house had sat empty for 50 years well guarded! Until the mohegans bought it as it was original tribal land. Quite a few good digs were opened up as a result also...

hemihampton

Reaction score
I'd be Interested in any Beer Cans. I've been Advertising Beer Cans Wanted in BUY,SELL,TRADE Category for past 6+ years. Pay top $$$. Let me know. Check out the link below. Check out all 8 pages. THANKS, LEON.

https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/WANTED%3A-BEER-CANS/m-124729/tm.htm

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TonyG1