Double-Mold? Please Educate Me

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SMJB

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
A lot of the bottles and jars I've been unearthing have mold seams through the body that end at or about the shoulder, and seams that come down from the lip that end maybe a little below the shoulder. They are 2 distinct seams, in some cases almost 1/4" apart. They don't connect at all. I recall reading something about "double molds." Is that applicable to these? Could you also help me with dating these examples?
Thanks!
Steve

Attachments

• IMG_2546.jpg
    IMG_2546.jpg
    477.8 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_2547.jpg
    IMG_2547.jpg
    404.2 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_2548.jpg
    IMG_2548.jpg
    374.5 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_2549.jpg
    IMG_2549.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_2550.jpg
    IMG_2550.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_2551.jpg
    IMG_2551.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_2552.jpg
    IMG_2552.jpg
    469.6 KB · Views: 79

Dogo

DOGO
Reaction score
I don't know how that double seam happens, but as far as I can see, your bottles are all fairly new. They are not scratched or stained from a long time in the ground. They are all of modern design. Older bottles frequently had date codes embossed on the base. Sometimes the month and year and sometimes the week and year- 12-39 would be the 12th week of 1939. The numbers may or may not be obvious. Early Automatic Bottle Machine made bottles had a large ring on the bottom that yours do not have. Once the Automatic Bottle Machine was perfected those small imperfections that made earlier versions so interesting were no longer a factor. Newer bottles are still collected, but usually for what they held, or who produced it.
Hope this helps you.

SMJB

Reaction score
I don't know how that double seam happens, but as far as I can see, your bottles are all fairly new. They are not scratched or stained from a long time in the ground. They are all of modern design. Older bottles frequently had date codes embossed on the base. Sometimes the month and year and sometimes the week and year- 12-39 would be the 12th week of 1939. The numbers may or may not be obvious. Early Automatic Bottle Machine made bottles had a large ring on the bottom that yours do not have. Once the Automatic Bottle Machine was perfected those small imperfections that made earlier versions so interesting were no longer a factor. Newer bottles are still collected, but usually for what they held, or who produced it.
Hope this helps you.
It certainly does. Thank you for the info. I was thinking '30's, but the seams really threw me. I'm still trying to find a spot that has the oldies! I've had some luck, just mostly newer stuff.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylese