Dr Poland

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

woody

Reaction score
One dump I got into in Gilmanton produced quite a few Dr. Poland's bottles, Mike.
I remember there were more broken, also.
I believe that the Headache Killer is the rarest of the lot, though that is my opinion, and all of his bottles are good finds.

earlyglass

Reaction score
Woody, Do you recall any other molds? A firend of mine told me that he found a "spinal remedy" but he sold the bottles many years ago... and I have yet to see another. Not sure if it actually existed.

Mike

jane8851

Reaction score
Very interesting info, I never really knew much about the bottle. To answer Matt's question, the embossing looks the same as the one you have I think.

2A2DAB3FB24847FD909F159AD12228FF.jpg

Attachments

• 2A2DAB3FB24847FD909F159AD12228FF.jpg
    2A2DAB3FB24847FD909F159AD12228FF.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 50

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I just noticed something odd about the embossing on that bottle. The word COMPOUND is lettered with serifs and the other text doesnt have them.

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
I remember picking up an amber stoddard 'headache killer' at my first bottle show and almost dropping in my tracks when my brain registered the asking price. Still one of my fave stoddard bottles, maybe someday I'll be lucky enough to own one...hey, you never know...[:D]
Joe
P.S. Mike (earlyglass) you didn't happen to have one with a ding for sale a few years back at Lowell, did you?...just curious, I went back and read your comment about only 10 or so known examples.... J.B.

earlyglass

Reaction score
Joe,

Are you sure that it was a Stoddard "Headache Killer"... I have never seen one of the headache killer bottles in a Stoddard color. That would be a great bottle.

Mike

earlyglass

Reaction score
Joe,

Yes, I had one for sale a few year's back. I know of 6 or 7 examples, so I am assuming that there may be a dozen examples. Only a few of the examples that I know of were not damaged.

Mike

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Mike,...Nope,...Thanks for being so gracious in correcting me,...It was the stoddard w/ the arch, for some reason I had it in my head that the headache killer embossing was on the arched bottle...It must just say 'Dr. Poland' in the arch?[:)]...anyhow, I get my memories crossed up sometimes,...okay,...Did you have an awesome aquaish greenish one up on ebay awhile back?....lots of fine bubbles and a large disc/flared lip....the bottles stay in my mind, but the other details fade....thanks for the info. Joe

Okay,...<laughing> now I'm confusing myself...I scrolled back up to admire the pic, and upon closer scrutiny, the actual headache killer bottle above in your pic looks exactly like the one I just inquired about...Really, I'm not nuts...Just starting to sound that way. jeez![;)]

earlyglass

Reaction score
I saw the greenish "citron" example of the White Pine Compound... I placed a bid but not enough... mistake.

They come pontiled, and I wouldn't be surprised to see an amber Stoddard example out there someday... that would be another super bottle.

Mike

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agrounds1