Dr. Soules Hop Bitters

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: stinger haut

Brian,
Just about all my bitters are long gone.
I bought that one at the Pittsburgh Show in a dug condition. The seller was from I think was from N.J.? It was really dirty, so I was taking a chance by buying it.
It luckily came out really nice.
Sold it to a guy in Monterey, CA.
I saw another one at a N. Cal show years ago.
Both were made out of the U.S.
You used to see them come up for sale a lot in the past, not so much anymore.
Stinger

I'd liked to have seen it ! I have never seen an Aqua .....that would be a great coloration to add to a color run.
I have heard of an Aqua Drake's also ..... but have never seen one , or even shards of one. I don't know if an Aqua Drake's really exists or not ...... I guess alot of the really rare colorations get stuck away in private collections and you never see them.

annie44

Reaction score
I did buy it on ebay. The seller and I have exchanged a few emails, so I am optimistic that it is going to be a nice bottle. I was surprised that I got it at the price I did. Glad to hear that the reverse "S" is hard to come by.

Nawakwa

Reaction score
Does it get any better than this when you see the variety of colors all lined up?

bearswede

Reaction score
I am of the opinion that the black glass very crude ones frothy with seed bubbles are from Australia/New Zealand...

Also, I've owned 3 backward "S" varieties and I see them a lot on ebay...

Ron

DA3396A1BFFB4BB0A0355D1BC108076F.jpg

Attachments

• DA3396A1BFFB4BB0A0355D1BC108076F.jpg
    DA3396A1BFFB4BB0A0355D1BC108076F.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 89

stinger haut

Reaction score
Ron,
Your right about the blackglass Soules coming from Australia or New Zealand. I thought it was England, but talking to my wife she said the ones we had came from Australia.
I remember them as being very crude, sometimes there were so many bubbles that you wondered how they stayed intact.
I too, have seen quite a few backward S Soules. Are they becoming harder to find?
Stinger

BRIAN S.

Reaction score
I didn't realize the backwards " S " was so common . I must be over looking them .
I'm going to have to pay more attention I guess !
Cindy you still got a good deal on yours ..... I have seen the blacks without the reversed " S " sell for more than what you paid for yours.
You guys are right ! Ring & Ham's S 146 Soule's with reverse " S " listed as common. It sure fooled me .... I just don't see them much .

bttlmark

Reaction score
I contacted a couple of site owners in England & Australia last year. They said as far as they knew,none where made there.

annie44

Reaction score
I saw a very small size Dr. Soules at the Shupps Grove show this weekend - has anyone seen one before? Unfortunately, the seller had put it in his tumbler, and it had a crack in it as a result. It was about the size of a small Wishart's Pine Tree Tar Cordial.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrykevin