-DUG- Possible Westford, CT Flask

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

appliedlips

Reaction score
RE: -DUG- Stoddard Flask!?

Way to Git-R-Dug.Did you have to go deep for that one?Sweeeeet find.

subsoil

Reaction score

Amazingly, not deep Edge of the dump about 2.5ft down, just scraping un-molested layers of ash and I saw it on its side, I had no idea what it was, I just carefully dug around it, pulled it up, saw the snap casing, lip, and uber crudeness, and then realized "oh snap, this is SPECIAL... a FLASK". "OMFG Stoddard!" was the first thing I said LOL

Found a smahed into pieces open pontiled TEAL Dr Townsends just yesterday about 3ft away from the site of the flask What a tease, especially after only 1 small med and an amber utility, an OK day. Its a crazy thing to find screwtops also mixed in with this sweet stuff. I've dug that edge clean now it's back to the deep hole to get to the bottom... More treasures lie buried!

~ss

earlyglass

Reaction score

My two cents, for what ever the hell it's worth... This is a nice New England pint flask. As far as it's origin being Coventry, CT or Keene, NH... those glasshouses are far too early. If so, this flask would have been pontilled, sheared top and more of an olive amber color. However, this one is later, probably mid 1860s, and a very typical civil war era flask. Flasks of this form produced during this timeframe were blown at Weeks & Gilson, South Stoddard, NH and Westford Glass Works, CT. They both were known for this rich amber coloration, and typically had numerous bubbles. However, the rounded applied top, as seen on this flask, is a standard lipping style for Westford. Examples of this can be seen on the Westford "Liberty" eagle flasks. Stoddard's version of the rounded double collar is a much flatter top, and thicker, as is seen on many of the "Patent" flask. Also, the base on this one is a standard CT base. The Stoddard versions are typically an indented oval base with a resting rim. So my GUESS would be Westford, CT.... just my opinion. But no matter what you call it, it is a nice find! Mike

subsoil

Reaction score

Earlyglass is definately onto something here... I've been checking out other flasks of Westford now and they are VERY similar...I am wondering now too if it is CT made. Thanks for the tip!

Two Sheaf of Wheat Pictorial Flasks, a Sheaf of Wheat - "Westford Glass Co." and a Sheaf of Wheat - "Traveler's / (eight pointed star) / Companion", Westford Glass Works, Westford, Connecticut. 1860-1873. Yellow amber with a reddish tone and yellow amber, applied collared mouths - smooth bases, pint and quart; (some minor exterior highpoint wear).
GXIII-35 and GXIV-1 - Photo courtesy of .hecklerauction
http://www.hecklerauction.com/Auction70/olcatalog/large/24.jpg

Here's something on 3'bay!
http://cgi.ebay.com/Liberty-Flask-Westford-Conn_W0QQitemZ320015098233QQihZ011QQcategoryZ891QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This flask is going for more than that double eagle stoddard that sold a few days ago. Mine has no embossing and also has what I'm assuming is a snap case mold mark which makes it even more odd.

Mike O

Reaction score

That is a really nice flask! I dug one close to that in a Massachusetts dump, No where as bubbly as that one. It was a Whitney glass works out of NJ. The nice thing about that is that it said Whitney on the bottom. "No question about that one!"

Mike (earlyglass) is well up on his stoddard information so I would say you should go with what he said!

Bottleman

Reaction score

Let me start off by saying that is a very nice flask. I have dug many unembossed Stoddard flasks and your lip style is different from them. I know it’s been said a lot on this post but from my experience, Stoddard lips are not as long as yours and the double collar sticks out more to the sides. I am not a flack expert but earlyglass seems to know what he is talking about.

~~Tom

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter