Eagle flask

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

jamus

Reaction score
I am trying to research an eagle flask for a mueseum. The flask has an eagle on both sides, is olive, and is only 6 inches tall! It might have a pontil, it's hard to tell. It has one seam running from the base of the neck across the bottom and up the other side to the neck ( Two piece mold?) and the pontil only looks like a c shaped intentation. If it is a pontil it must have been heavily polished. The mueseum wouldn't let me take any pictures but it looks alot like this flask accept its smaller and doesn't have any words on it. I would like to know the date, rarity and any other interesting info.
Thanks for your help advance,
James
masonicfront.jpg

earlyglass

Reaction score
This is listed as a GIV-17 in McKearin's "American Bottle & Flasks and Their Ancestry". The "IV" signifies that it is part of the masonic group of flasks, the "17" is the mold. These were produced at the Keene- Marlboro Street Glassworks, Keene, NH in the 1820s. This is a pint flask with an open pontil base and sheared and refired lip. They are a beautiful flask but relatively common, especially in this olive amber coloration. Value is between 200-300 range.

Hope this helps.

Mike

earlyglass

Reaction score
Thanks Rick! You are absolutely correct, it sounds like a GII-86. This would be a 1/2 pint double eagle flask blown at the Granite Glass Company, in Stoddard NH during the 1850s. Value would be around $150-200.

I actually have one posted on my website, www.bottleshow.com
It just sold yesterday, but the pic is up there.

Mike

jamus

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replys. I wondered myself why they didn't let me take any pictures. I think it's because the flash causes the other in the mueseum artifacts like paintings to fade. The mueseum is in Prince Edward Island, Canada ( pretty far away from where the bottle was made).

jamus

Reaction score
corection to my last post: I looked at a map and new hampshire is actualy quite close to P.E.I. Alot of people from around here have relatives from new hampshire and it may have been bought as a souvinir by islanders visting with relatives in the 1800's.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
How can you tell if the dump you just dug is new? You post 50 MILLION PICTURES! .... Some times I wonder about my self, I say self..whats wrong with you, NOT a dang thing I was born this way.[:D]

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raybrdn