Early Dr. Pepper bottle?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODABOB

Reaction score
Here's a possible contender for the Circle-A paper label - but not certain and still looking

Circle A Ad 1901 Paper Label.jpg

Bernie19

Reaction score
Bernie19

You're welcome - It gets even better. Check out this photo from the Dr. Pepper museum in Waco, Texas. The bottle on the left sure looks like your bottle. Especially notice what it says about it in the first column. If your bottle is the same and was produced in 1897, then I'd say you have an extremely rare bottle - museum quality. By the way, other than the "Registered" on the shoulder and the "A" on the base, is there any other embossing on the bottle? Look close on the heel for any symbols, numbers, or letters. If it is marked, we might be able to determine more about it. I'm currently looking for the proper paper label that went with that particular bottle, and will be back when I find it.

Bob

Double-click on photo for a closer look

View attachment 216170
Wow, thank you. I really didn't think too much about this bottle before this. I did not even notice the embossing until I cleaned it. Unfortunately the bottle is not with me now so I am unable to look closely for other marks or embossing. In the original pic of this post of the base, it does appear to have a -75- on the bottom edge. Could be scratches or handling marks. I'm attaching another pic of the base. The alleged -75- is less visible in this pic tho. It does appear to have a double stamped -A- on the bottom that is more apparent in this pic. I'm not sure if that means anything tho.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201230-154941_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20201230-154941_Messages.jpg
    348.5 KB · Views: 126

Bernie19

Reaction score
Based on what I'm learning about early Circle-A bottles that were produced in Waco, Texas, this 1901 Ad depicts a later bottle, and not the one in question. Compare the attached paper label to the one depicted in the 1901 Ad. I'm thinking the paper label that went with the bottle in question was a different paper label - which I am still looking for.

View attachment 216173

View attachment 216176
Does appear to be the same label!

SODABOB

Reaction score
Thanks, Bernie

I see the double-stamped A but not the 75. If the bottle is from the 1800s, it will be hand-blown and not machine made. The best way to tell is by examining the mold seams that are on the sides of the bottle. If the seam disappears on the neck area then it was probably made before circa 1905. After it is determined if the bottle was hand-blown (BIM) or machine made, I will tell you about the double-stamped A

Circle A Bottle Base Bernie19 Forum Dec 2020.jpg

Bernie19

Reaction score
Thanks, Bernie

I see the double-stamped A but not the 75. If the bottle is from the 1800s, it will be hand-blown and not machine made. The best way to tell is by examining the mold seams that are on the sides of the bottle. If the seam disappears on the neck area then it was probably made before circa 1905. After it is determined if the bottle was hand-blown (BIM) or machine made, I will tell you about the double-stamped A

View attachment 216192
Mold seams on both sides of the bottle and they appear to terminate about 1/2 inch from the lip. I'm attaching a pic of the 75 I think I see. I think it's a stretch on my part tho.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201230-174454_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201230-174454_Chrome.jpg
    456.7 KB · Views: 114

SODABOB

Reaction score
Thanks, again - The 75 is a little iffy and not sure what to make of it. If its embossed it should stick out a little. But whatever it is, its probably not going to help us all that much. The good news is that the bottle was likely hand-blown and/or Blown in a Mold (BIM). The attached illustration is an example of a non-machine hand mold. Notice the round plate at the bottom. Those plates were interchangeable depending on what the bottler wanted - which on your bottle is a large A that was likely for Circle-A. What most likely caused the double-stamping is that when the molten glass first touched the base plate it made a premature impression before the "gob" had settled in place. After the gob settled it left the stronger embossing that we see. Double-stamping is not uncommon and could also occur on machine made bottles. I'm still looking for the appropriate paper label, but its starting to look as if they are even rarer than the bottle itself.

Bottle Mold with Interchangable Base Plate.jpg

Bernie19

Reaction score
Thanks, again - The 75 is a little iffy and not sure what to make of it. If its embossed it should stick out a little. But whatever it is, its probably not going to help us all that much. The good news is that the bottle was likely hand-blown and/or Blown in a Mold (BIM). The attached illustration is an example of a non-machine hand mold. Notice the round plate at the bottom. Those plates were interchangeable depending on what the bottler wanted - which on your bottle is a large A that was likely for Circle-A. What most likely caused the double-stamping is that when the molten glass first touched the base plate it made a premature impression before the "gob" had settled in place. After the gob settled it left the stronger embossing that we see. Double-stamping is not uncommon and could also occur on machine made bottles. I'm still looking for the appropriate paper label, but its starting to look as if they are even rarer than the bottle itself.

View attachment 216195
Lol, paper label is a ghost I guess!! Thank you for your help and assistance. What do you think a price would be for this bottle?

hemihampton

Reaction score
The Circle A label Bob posted would most likely date to around 1912 or 13 & after. Interesting Bottle. Looks like #5 on Bobs list. LEON.

SODABOB

Reaction score
Here's another label I found - but I'm not sure about it either - can't find any specifics about it ???

Circle A paper Label Possible Earliest.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agrounds1