Entry Level Ruby Red's

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

DugZ

Reaction score
Are all red's scarce and desireable? What would an entry level pre-1900 Ruby Red price range be for a beginner in todays market? What would be the most common pieces to look for? ie; Medicine, Liquor, $oda, and what brands? I know I'm asking a lot, I am still kinda new to bottles, but with a thurst for knowledge. Thank you

carobran

Reaction score
Usually pre-1900 red glas is going to be pitchers,bowls,etc. I believe. I can't think of any truly red bottles at the moment but theres probably some out there.

DugZ

Reaction score
Ok, then here's another newbie question. Are all Wheaton Glass products made to be a collectable? At least the ones I see on the auction sites. i.e.; modern made (70s-80s from what I've seen) repo's made to look like turn of the century utilitarian bottles and jars?

botlguy

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: DugZ

Are all red's scarce and desireable? What would an entry level pre-1900 Ruby Red price range be for a beginner in todays market? What would be the most common pieces to look for? ie; Medicine, Liquor, $oda, and what brands? I know I'm asking a lot, I am still kinda new to bottles, but with a thurst for knowledge. Thank you
Ruby Red SCHLITZ beer bottles, mid-twentieth century, $25.00 +/-

carobran

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: DugZ

Ok, then here's another newbie question. Are all Wheaton Glass products made to be a collectable? At least the ones I see on the auction sites. i.e.; modern made (70s-80s from what I've seen) repo's made to look like turn of the century utilitarian bottles and jars?

As for as I know all Wheaton did was make modern repos of 19'th century collectible bottles and jars.

Blackglass

Reaction score
Most Ruby glass that is pre-1900 would be in the form of pitchers, glasses, vases, and other similar ware. I have an amberina (Colors ranging from ruby red to yellowish) hand blown tooled top perfume from the TOC, it is supposedly extremely rare. I think that is the closest you could get.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
As for as I know all Wheaton did was make modern repos of 19'th century collectible bottles and jars.
Wheaton has been around for more that 100 years but are better known for the repro and fantasy bottles now.
Royal Ruby I think was the trade mark for Anchor Hocking, the Schlitz were among them.
Then you get into the whole cranberry glass part of the old days when gold was actually used to color the glass.
It's a big area to train in and become an expert. I'm not one of them.

DugZ

Reaction score
Thank you very much for the information carobran. Every bit helps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday