federal law / 1935-1964

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

rwe79405

Reaction score
for all those interested..
i got tired of searching the net and not getting the answers i was looking for so i wrote the library of congress and here is the response...

QUESTION #10: Does the bottle have the following statement embossed on its sides or base?
"FEDERAL LAW FORBIDS SALE OR REUSE OF THIS BOTTLE "

In the U.S., National Prohibition was repealed in late 1933 and was subsequently followed by the passage of Federal laws prohibiting the reuse or sale of used liquor bottles. This requirement was intended to discourage the re-use of bottles by bootleggers and moonshiners, though the biggest discouragement to that illicit activity was that liquor was now legally available. On January 1st, 1935 all liquor sold in the United States was required to be in bottles that had the above statement embossed in the glass (Busch 1981). The statement was not required on wine or beer bottles, the latter of which was - and to some degree still is - bottled in re-useable bottles.
If your bottle has this statement embossed in the glass, it is a liquor bottle that dates between 1935 and the 1960's.
In 1964, the law requiring this statement was repealed. Be aware however that for some years after 1964, liquor could still be found in bottles with this phrase since not all liquor producers switched immediately to new bottles due to the expense of new molds or to deplete an existing supply of bottles (Ferraro 1966)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimk26