first black glass bottle I've ever encountered

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

jamieyohnPA

Reaction score
I didn't know there was such a color, this bottle is neat, seam stops at neck, and I believe it was a 104 embossed on the bottom of it, when held up to the light, the light doesn't shine through. Unfortunately I didn't dig it, its not mine:-( but I am interested in purchasing it so does anybody have an idea what a fair price may be?

FA34BE99CA62453391A461356E229AEE.jpg

Attachments

• FA34BE99CA62453391A461356E229AEE.jpg
    FA34BE99CA62453391A461356E229AEE.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 71

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
hold it up to a really bright light source, its probably either amethyst or amber.
I think these were made around 1900 to hold light sensitive chemicals or drugs.
I would agree with Jim, not a lot of value unless they are embossed.

botlguy

Reaction score
After I posted my original thought I got to thinking about truly BLACK glass.

As a point of information, HEMINGRAY GLASS WORKS was issued a patent on February 27, 1877 for BLACK GLASS to be used in the making of Fruit Jars. This patent was appiled to their ROYAL Fruit Jars with the patent date on the base. Arleta Rodriques, an early Fruit Jar history researcher, shared this information with me when I acquired one of those jars in about 1968 or 69. At that time it was one of only 3 known, I don't know how many are known now. Before this discovery it was thought that the patent was for the jar itself so this was important news. The only other truly BLACK glass Fruit Jar I am aware of are the HEMINGRAY made 1858s.

As an aside, it is odd that there are examples og Aqua jars with that base embossed date. I guess they decided that the Black glass wasn't a good idea but didn't want to throw away the expensive to make molds.

glass man

Reaction score
Looks like from the style it may have been shoe polish or boot blacking...yep 2-5 bucks would be the limit...If I wanted it I would try to give a dollar for it.JAMIE

glass man

Reaction score
I have one that is wider and more rectangle then the one in the pic...if you lived close I would give it to you,but to ship it would cost more then it is worth...JAMIE

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
After I posted my original thought I got to thinking about truly BLACK glass.

As a point of information, HEMINGRAY GLASS WORKS was issued a patent on February 27, 1877 for BLACK GLASS to be used in the making of Fruit Jars. This patent was appiled to their ROYAL Fruit Jars with the patent date on the base. Arleta Rodriques, an early Fruit Jar history researcher, shared this information with me when I acquired one of those jars in about 1968 or 69. At that time it was one of only 3 known, I don't know how many are known now. Before this discovery it was thought that the patent was for the jar itself so this was important news. The only other truly BLACK glass Fruit Jar I am aware of are the HEMINGRAY made 1858s.

so was this truely opaque black glass?
traditionally we think of "black glass" as the high iron glass common in the 18th century.
This is translucent appearing olive or amber (sometimes puce or amethyst) under strong light.

glass man

Reaction score
I have always thought of "Black Glass" as being from the 18th cen. too Matt....

The bottle I have is bimal and so dark even a very strong light barely can penetrate it..and it is Amethyst'.it is bimal and has P.D. & Co. embossed on bottom [PARKER DAVIS COMPANY] so it was made in 1875 or after..being bimal would guess around 1900 or so...JAMIE

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cehobson