first black glass bottle I've ever encountered

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

botlguy

Reaction score
The Black Glass ROYAL jar was black as black can be. If I remember correctly (sold it in 1972) it showed a tiny bit of dark green in the threaded portion where it was thinnest, right at the edge. The rest passed no light even looking through it in direct, strong sunlight looking at the sun. The lid was also that dark but did pass a tiny bit more light through the very middle. The insert lid had berries embossed. I sold it for $850, it's worth over 5 grand today.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hi Matt, I am with you on blackglass being the dark early glass. This med bottle could be from a modern patent, but the early black glass didn't need a patent to exist. RED M,.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
The Black Glass ROYAL jar was black as black can be.

I assume their goal was to make a jar that protected the contents from light degradation?
There must not have been enough call for it.
If people wanted a "surprise for dinner" they would can their items in tin cans[:D]
When I was a baby my mother said I would always rip the labels off all the canned goods.
That resulted in some weird food combinations for dinner I guess.

botlguy

Reaction score
I will be the first one to report that I can not find the patent for the Black jars. I have spent at least two hours searching Google patents for both February 27, 1877 and February 17, 1877 which is the date that my Red Book #8 reports as the date on one of the lids. It turns out that the 17th is not a Tuesday which is the day all patents are issued. The 27th is a valid day but I simply could not find it, went through over 300. There were no patents for anything close but I am certain my informationis correct. If one of you computer geniuses can help me out of this hole I've dug it will be greatly appreciated. I feel like I'm down in that 32 footer without a ladder or even a rope.

Calbottlegirl

Reaction score
I have Mission Dry soda and it is BLACK GLASS! nothing come thru!
Jan

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
the patent for the Black jars

http://www.google.com/patents?id=5L5kAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4#v=onepage&q&f=false

Looks like it was designed to prevent light reaction of contents.

botlguy

Reaction score
That's it. That's the one. I'm vindicated. I'm not crazy. THANK YOU. Now I just need to figure out how / why I missed it.

Way back when, untill this patent information was found, Alex Kerr had us all convinced that the Black jars were after shift "Whimsies" or some such. Sure sounded logical and we NEVER doubted Alex.

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: jamieyohnPA

I didn't know there was such a color, this bottle is neat, seam stops at neck, and I believe it was a 104 embossed on the bottom of it, when held up to the light, the light doesn't shine through. Unfortunately I didn't dig it, its not mine:-( but I am interested in purchasing it so does anybody have an idea what a fair price may be?

FA34BE99CA62453391A461356E229AEE.jpg

A fair price for that is free [:D]

jamieyohnPA

Reaction score
That is exactly how this one is, no light shines through, and to look at it at different angles the light reflects off it and I would say it's definitely opaque, the pics from my phones camera do it no justice whatsoever

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aarhar75