first finds of the season

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Mainepontil

Reaction score
Nice finds Taz....Can't wait the see what else you pull out of there. PONTILS ??????

Joel

amblypygi

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: southern Maine diver
That's exactly what Pam tells me after a day of diving in the mud... she says I "STINNNK" ...

You ain't one of those people who "warms up" his wetsuit are ya?? One guy I dive with insists he can't help that and he stinks to all getout. We won't let his rubber ride in the truck, it has to blow around back in the boat on the trailer and if it blows out all the better [:D]

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
No Sean...

It's not the "human interior coolant/antifreeze suit warming method" I have a bucket on board for that...[:eek:] It really is because of the mud and muck I dive in sometimes![:'(]

You know... that dead fish, smelly rotting type of black muck that you find at low tide!![8D] That kind of muck. You probably don't see that in the fresh, clean, pristine places you dive. I'll bring you down to do some mooring work with me in Rye Harbor, NH and then we'll see who has to ride home in the back of the truck!!! Ha Ha Ha [:D]

Wayne

amblypygi

Reaction score
Hey Wayne, just say when!

I'm pretty much of a bum (I think the term is house-husband) so I'm always able to fit in a dive or two. I do very little salt-water diving actually, once or twice a year in the Caribbean. Went bug-hunting off Rockport once too, that 2-pound bug cost me $20/lb, more if you count the gas and air, but it was fun.

You need to get out here to Western Mass too; I'll show you a dump 1000 yards long that spits up new stuff every year and has been there since the 1650s. It's way picked over of course (you should see some of the stuff that's come out of there!) but new stuff keeps on showing up so I hit it once or twice every year.

Sean

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Bearswede...

Hey Ron, I think he's talking about it being "underwater" [:-] I know you just got back into diggin, but I didn't know that you throw on the tanks and climb around, claw around in the river bottoms as well...???[:eek:]

Does Margaret know about this???[8|]

Wayne

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Man....Beautiful bottles.....That's what we all long to see emerge from their grave...WAY TO GO!...inspiration for the rest of us....actually just at dusk tonight on a whim...my diggin buddy Tom, and I hit the jackpot.....followed the old ravine up the rise from ancient cellar hole....bingo....1890's stuff on top....decent right underneath and the goods about a foot down...vulnerable spot tho...gotta get in and digger out quick....snoopy neighbors...four wheeler trail in spittin distance and a crazy old drunk guy right next house.... Adios and keep em comin!..Joe

amblypygi

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: bearswede

I'll show you a dump 1000 yards long

I wouldn't mind knowin' where that dump is, Sean...

Ron

Hi Ron,

No problem: it's the old Northampton town dump. Only problem (or not a problem depending on your point of view [;)] ) is that it's almost all underwater in the river now. There's still some stuff eroding from the bank, but mostly junk and the environmental cops will come down on you hard if they find you digging in the riverbank. Some people just don't have a good opinion of "erosion's little helpers" [8|]

Some places you can get away with it, but not the NoHo dump; the river is like a superhighway there because it's right next to the bridge across from the Marina. I know a bunch of the Env. cops and they actively look for diggers on the banks.

Now if you are willing to strap on a tank.... [:)]

Sean

bearswede

Reaction score
Hey Sean...

Been thinking about where the old Noho dump might be lately... Now I know... What the river cuts away, it usually deposits down around the next bend... Have you ever checked out any sandbars downstream?

Ron

amblypygi

Reaction score
Hi Ron,

The dump is on a long straight stretch of the river and the bottom is sand and gravel; perfect for keeping bottles safe and sound. I've found stuff pretty far downstream of where the junk is concentrated on the bank, but it's tough because the sand shifts around a lot, so everything is buried. I often wish there was such a thing as a glass detector, but I'll bet I'm not alone in that wish [:D]

I found a WW Boynton hutch way downstream, almost near Rainbow Beach, a few years ago. Every spring my friend Steve and I usually do a couple tanks there and always find a few things. Always some heartbreaking fragments too.

I'll post a few pics of the dump and some stuff I've found there

Nl28349.jpg

Attachments

• Nl28349.jpg
    Nl28349.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 61

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tasha85