For the Land fill diggers :)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

madpaddla

Reaction score
When asked its tough on old, t o c, or 20's and up. All eras have good bottles. From now on I'll wonder about that black gue. Amen to all that just dig where ever. Madpaddla

downeastdigger

Reaction score
Crawling through the mud and briars of Eliot Maine
In case I didn't make it clear, I'm not the seller. I just happened to be surfing around ebay and saw it and couldn't believe it.
Makes me wonder what milks I've sold over the years of digging around here. I generally priced my embossed dug milks at $10 max. That was before ebay.

Bram

Bottleman

Reaction score
I have to agree with Jim, central Pa is defiantly a hot location for milk bottles. It must be because of the great number of collectors and the farming community had so many different dairies. I prefer older bottles but the ONLY milks I collect are local ones. I have 32 different milks from my county but their value added up equals around $3,500 and I know people with better collections. I guess it just depends where you live and how many collectors there are from that area. It’s weird to think that the diggers in the 1960s use to not save the milks because there was no market for them but today that are so collectable.

~~Tom

madman

Reaction score
great finds best of luck !! mike

Mainepontil

Reaction score
You and I know where the BIG ONE is Bram, I'd say there are a few milks in there "down by the river" We should dig it hard this fall during hunting season when it's tough to get into the woods.

I hate digging through new stuff but that's where the $$$ can be.

Joel

DIGGER DAVE

Reaction score
Hey Bram ,
THannx for the post. It makes you take a second look at your collection. I just wish I didnt have such an endearing attachment to my digs ! Everyone one, tells a story, and it is hard to give up. although I know some day they will put my princesses through some over priced institution of higher education ! Yet for now I just like to tell the stories !!

DIGGER DAVE

Reaction score
Subsoil,
I am watching you closely because I can see a wonderful future of finds in you. Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing !!
P.S. Your digs are so similiar to mine that I wonder if we are not digging the same spot here in the East !!!
P.S.S THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING !!
YOU ARE WISE BEYOND YOUR POSTS !!!

subsoil

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: DIGGER DAVE

Subsoil,
I am watching you closely because I can see a wonderful future of finds in you. Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing !!
P.S. Your digs are so similiar to mine that I wonder if we are not digging the same spot here in the East !!!
P.S.S THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING !!
YOU ARE WISE BEYOND YOUR POSTS !!!

Thanks [:D]
Everytime I dig that dump it's a big surprise. It is a bottle hound's dream from the expert digger to the curious and the peeps that have dug there didn't seem to go down as deep as that new hole in the pics. This dump is probably 15-20ft deep and the goodies just get better down there. With the heat moving out in the East soon it will be time to open up that pit and get down to the bottom!

downeastdigger

Reaction score
Crawling through the mud and briars of Eliot Maine
Hi Dave,
your post sounds exactly like I would have written it. I dont think my collection will ever put my princesses through college, but maybe it will put their children through college.
Other collectors ask me what I collect, and I always say I collect what I dig. Any special or rare bottle that I dig, goes in to my "trophy" room, which are my best dug bottles. In the basement are all my bottles I get at yard sales and flea markets, and stuff that I've dug that are common and that I sell or trade for other bottles.
Any time I get talked in to selling a bottle that I dug, when I'm not sure of it, I ALWAYS regret it later, even if I get paid twice what it's worth. If you sell a dug bottle for $200, a year later, you cant remember where the $200 went, but you can sure remember the bottle ( and digging it).
I have some good permission leads, and hope to do alot of digging next week, so hopefully I'll have some good pics to post.
take care and happy digging,
Bram

WMassPete

Reaction score
thats a *nice* milk

I totally understand why that one went bonkers....its a quart TIN-TOP milk....probaly mid 1890s.....even finding an unembossed half pint tin-top (not just a early bim milk from around 1900 - a true tin-top has NO cap-seat....it almost looks like a "wide-mouthed blob top" if you can imagine.....Ive dug one quart that had straps embossed into the bottle for where the metal carrier would latch in....it was a Smalley quart bottom embossed..but...no name or anything...I have a half pint thats acid etched "south hadley 1900" thats pretty cool....but....thats so super rare to see an embossed quart..my friend collects Mass milks and has over 3000 (probaly a bunch more by now)....I have no idea if he even has an embossed quart tin-top..probaly..because he has some pretty freaky stuff....but....thats something that doesnt pop up often to say the least!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdtivey