Forum talk with 'friends'

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

epackage

Reaction score
It's really come to my attention lately that you can't treat online friendships and discussions that you have in open forums the same way you do real interactive friendships with the people you know and see in person. People can't 'hear' your tone of voice or any inflection in your voice you may want to convey. All the smiley faces in the world won't help everyone involved in a discussion understand what you're try to get across when in a forum such as this one. You live your whole life talking to people who can hear the different tones, see you roll your eyes or see the smirk or anger on your face when you're talking to them directly or in a group setting.

Then BAM!, the interwebs get here and suddenly some of the things you say are taken differently by those people you've made 'friends' with online, even though you only know them thru their ramblings and maybe a few pics of them and their dog/cat/rooster that they've posted on forums just like this one. Where I grew up everyone was and still is a ballbuster, that's the world I know, and I'm a product of my enviorment. When making posts on forums I say what I say in the way I would talk to my lifelong friends, alot of that is because I feel like the online friendships are the same as those personal friendships I've always known. That's really not the case though, there are some folks who feel that I'm being a bully, when in fact it's just me trying to be open and honest. Yes, that has caused me to have my fair share of 'face offs' over the years, but online it seems that it happens 1000 times more often because people don't really KNOW me, and I don't really know them.

I don't plan on changing the way I 'talk' on the forum, that just wouldn't be the real me, but I will look closer into the interactions I have and who I have them with. It's never really my intent to piss off anyone(sometimes it is but rarely), so instead of changing the things I say in my posts I need to rethink who I have discussions with. It makes it tough sometimes because it's easy to forget that some of the fine people here are just 'kids'(no disrespect) who have no experiences outside the area they can cover on their bicycles, and I need to remember that. As for the adults who don't like me or the things I say and the way I say them, I'm just not gonna worry about them because I doubt we would be friends in person. I'm sure PM's have been sent between a number of people about what an A-hole I am and I'm cool with that, that's real, that's how the world really is. As for what I consider 'my sense of humor' I can tell you in person I am the most self depricating SOB on the planet, I make fun of myself and my family before I would ever do so to another person.

Well just felt the need to get that out there, there are many of you I do consider friends, people I have NO DOUBT I would be friends with if we lived near each other. I enjoy the PM's and emails I get from you and I think you know exactly who you are. For anyone who doesn't like me, my BIG MOUTH or anything else about me you should probably not bother chatting me up. It would save you the headaches and troubles I appear to cause you with the way I say the things I say...[;)]

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Most members of a forum know the difference between thinking out loud and composing a message to the community. Some don't. Facebook was invented for people like you, Jim... you can choose your audience.
Seriously, 14,000 posts here and only now you even mention this? It came as such a surprise that you are actually on the interwebs and not mumbling to yourself? People like you destroy forums.. you think you are everyone's spokesperson and everything you say must be fine because it is what you believe, at least at the moment.. you attack people you don't know, you judge strangers and get bent when they defend themselves.. you feel you are above the rules of online etiquette for some reason.. I don't identify with those of you who are so self-righteous that the rules of behavior don't apply and call it 'being real' ..well guess what, everyone here is being real, but most of them are more considerate towards others and more thoughtful about their contributions.
There, I said it.. now I need a drink..

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cyberdigger

Seriously, 14,000 posts here, Yes Jim is ahead in the popular bottle posts, but you Chuck (13256 posts) are ahead in the Electoral Bottle count 250 to 190
There, I said it.. now I also need a drink..

83DF7D38E8004FA5BF114E948156D73B.jpg

Attachments

• 83DF7D38E8004FA5BF114E948156D73B.jpg
    83DF7D38E8004FA5BF114E948156D73B.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 75

Conch times

Reaction score
I'm relatively new to bottles and the Internet in general so I have been learning a lot if online tricks and trades! One thing that has been made very obvious to me is that a lot gets "lost in translation" when using a computer to communicate. It has happened to me and I try very hard to show as much respect as possible!!

Anyways I personally like mr. Jim's strait forward attitude and answers!! PLEASE DON'T CHANGE MR. JIM!!!

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
"you think you are everyone's spokesperson and everything you say must be fine because it is what you believe"

Dam I thought that was me [:mad:] i'm bummed [:D]

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: RICKJJ59W

"you think you are everyone's spokesperson and everything you say must be fine because it is what you believe"

Dam I thought that was me [:mad:] i'm bummed [:D]
You can have that one Rickster... [;)]

Thanks Jay[:D]

surfaceone

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Conch times

... One thing that has been made very obvious to me is that a lot gets "lost in translation" when using a computer to communicate.

Anyways I personally like mr. Jim's strait forward attitude and answers!! PLEASE DON'T CHANGE MR. JIM!!!

I'm with Mr. Jay on this one. I spend a lot of time "lost in translation."

Mr. Jim, don't never change. Evolve.
untitled.bmp

lost-in-translation-5.jpg

Happy New Translation, one and all.

lost-in-translation-feat1-357x250.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member