Found Boston Medicine Bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Gosh, I am excited to have found this place, since my research online has unearthed nothing (and I'm somewhat internet research savvy).

I live in a house on Prospect Hill built in 1900 in Somerville, Massachusetts. We have recently begun removing attic floor boards (slowly) to insulate between the floors. The boards and nails are still original, so we have had quite a few surprises beneath them. I have found multiple artifacts, all I have been able to date ~ 1890, including 2 trade cards (Boston beef & jacks navy plugs), a handwritten letter to and from Halifax 1895, buttons, yadda yadda. I have had very good luck learning about all the items so far, EXCEPT THE BOTTLES!

My guess was pre 1900 but after reading your mold-seam criteria, that confirms, as the seam does not run through the lip. Also, the stamp, which is not readable in the pic, I have deciphered some of it (will leave at the end of the post). In the picture, you will see, the woven fabric covered box (a bluish black, I will assume it was a navy blue, every thing had the nastiest black layer of dust-soot on it). It lists symptoms, producer, price and address. Also found are bottles labeled NO 1, NO 2, and a vile marked NO 3 (nearly illegible), and a plain glass tube/vile that has residue matching NO 3. On the back of bottle NO 2 there is also a (tax?) stamp, which is additionally stamped OZO in ink over it with a second row of ink numbers in same stamp font.

Address is 3 Tremont Row Boston - I have seen bottles on here from 33 Tremont Row, Burnett. I have searched the new england buisness mercantile buisness directory but cannot tell how many years it spans and I have not turned any thing up, other than a vague History of Tremont Row (then to become Scollay Square and Govt Ctr).

Manufactured by FA Reindhard

I guess technically I have a lot of info, but I am trying to find more about the type of inhaler it was, current value, how common, more about who made it etc. I think anyone here will understand.

I've supposedly uploaded a pic successfully, but I don't see it yet in preview, so please excuse if I have to go back in and edit.

STAMP

1/4 ONE QUARTER CENT 1/4
UNITED STATES INTER REVENUE
SERIES OF 189 -- the fourth number is either an 8 or 6
PROPRIETARY

D03C86A240B04CDE87C5D9A7D602885B.jpg

Attachments

• D03C86A240B04CDE87C5D9A7D602885B.jpg
    D03C86A240B04CDE87C5D9A7D602885B.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 72

botlguy

Reaction score
A hearty Welcome Seraphine. A beautiful, unusual name.

I can't give you any real help but what you have is perhaps like a home Homeopathic medicine kit. I had one of those years ago that I sold for a handsome sum.

Good Luck with your research.

Reaction score
Thank you botlguy, that is something I have not looked into yet.

Also, I noticed a typo in my post, its FA Reinhard just one D.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
My guess was pre 1900 but after reading your mold-seam criteria, that confirms, as the seam does not run through the lip.
Welcome! The above is a generalization. That type of bottle would have been made up to about 1906 and maybe into the teens.
Your best bet may be to check a Scott's catalog for the stamp.
I did see an OZO Remedy Co. Boston in a 1902 listing but it will need a little more research.
Nice little kit for an under the floor board find.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I got sidetracked by an pot boiling over so I had to stop.
Also, Ammonia was the "active" ingredient in smelling salts and other remedies so as an inhaler it makes sense.
The H. C. ACID sounds like hydrochloric which is some caustic stuff. I'm not sure what practical use in medicine it may have had unless the stomach wasn't producing enough for the digestive process. [:D]
FA Reindhard
Can I get a close up of that, it doesn't look quite right to me.

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cowseatmaize

FA Reindhard
Can I get a close up of that, it doesn't look quite right to me.

As I mentioned in my 2nd post/reply, I did type it wrong, with one too many D's. Here is a closer image.

EBBECE5D357648598EBD466A13D9AB1A.jpg

Attachments

• EBBECE5D357648598EBD466A13D9AB1A.jpg
    EBBECE5D357648598EBD466A13D9AB1A.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 68
Reaction score
In looking into the stamp I have learned that the second row of numbers (that I cannot read) should be a date. I am going to try manipulating an image and hope for some luck!

Reaction score
Not sure how "small" this image will be, since I wanted high quality.

Looks like JAN 4, 99 to me

which would be the date of the "cancel" and it would go up for sale then.

That said, it doesn't get me any further.

A711EFB04BD64EE29FAB038F16CD739D.jpg

Attachments

• A711EFB04BD64EE29FAB038F16CD739D.jpg
    A711EFB04BD64EE29FAB038F16CD739D.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 70
Reaction score
Yes, Series 1898 apparently quite common. Ive written to someone who collects cancels but he may not have anything to offer.

RE 3 Tremont Row - Ive found that it eventually became the Olymia Theatre, with 3 Tremont serving as its offices of some kind. That is about 1915. If I actually treck in person to city library, what would that offer? where would I look, are they going to have old city directories?

How will my not being able to find anything out about the mfr affect its value/lack of? Does anyone have any insight on the type of bottle, common, or anything? I did come across some homeopathic bottle images, and bottle NO 3 does seem to match that type.

Ive noticed both 1 & 2 are embossed 82 on the bottom but have turned nothing up on that.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AuctionAnnie