galvanized funnel thing

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

digger dun

Reaction score
Eastern Long Island, metro NYC, Hudson valley NY
This odd shaped device was picked up at an antique store on eastern long island. been passing around to friends and neighbors trying to figure out what it is. it's sealed with a screw cap on top, also has 2 petcocks, one up near the screw cap, and one at the point of the funnel. any one have any ideas? one more picture to follow.

3DFFF26030F04D3CB09C3257AB16B0EA.jpg

Attachments

• 3DFFF26030F04D3CB09C3257AB16B0EA.jpg
    3DFFF26030F04D3CB09C3257AB16B0EA.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 75

LC

Reaction score
Never seen one in all my years , sure is an oddity .

TJSJHART

Reaction score
MY IDEA IS SOME SORT OF COOLIN THING A BOB WITH THE LIQUID INSIDE AND THE LIQUID TO BE COOLED GOES IN ONE PETCOCK AND OUT THE OTHER....ONLY A GUESS ANY OTHER IDEAS,,,I COULD BE JUST BLOWIN SMOKE [8|]

Plumbata

Reaction score
No idea, looks home-made to me. Perhaps it held oil; filled via the lid at top and slowly dispensed through the bottom valve, with the top valve opened slightly to prevent development of a vacuum which would disrupt the steady flow of liquid. Could have been used on an old metal lathe or combustion engine. If it held water, I could imagine it being used to keep a big treadle grinding stone wet, or something like that.

digger dun

Reaction score
plumbata, i think you might be onto something there. I could see where keeping your supply of cooling/lubricating fluid, be it oil, or water, free from whatever contaminants associated with the manufacturing of whatever you are cooling/lubricating could be achieved with this device, while still allowing it to flow freely via the top petcock, in fact you might even be able to control the flow of this fluid out the bottom through different positioning of the top petcock.
we thought it might be some sort of condensator/separator thing a mawhatzit. this one has us scratching our scalps something fierce.

Plumbata

Reaction score
At first i was thinking it may have had something to do with moon-shining/distilling, but after going through the practical functions it could serve I decided against it. It certainly does look like a homebrewed separatory funnel but visibility of the contents is kinda important for them so I doubt that's what it is. Could be, though, hard to say.

digger dun

Reaction score
We thought that about moonshine still parts too, but galvanized components are a no no from what we've found.
But it does look home made. Well made, no doubt by someone skilled in tin smithing, but not mass produced. There would surely have been a stamped embossing of the producing company of some sort on the thing if it was made en mass.
It's an interesting little something, no doubt.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnymanty