Genuine Essence w/ Pontil -looking for info

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Sam_MaineBottles

Reaction score
Hi All -

This nice 4.5 inch bottle is embossed 'Genuine Essence'. I was curious to know where it might have been from. I've seen a few of these for sale on eBay with different style of lettering - one even with a 'N' printed backwards. Any info appreciated.

Sam

Vt56249.jpg

Attachments

• Vt56249.jpg
    Vt56249.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 73

Sam_MaineBottles

Reaction score
Here's a pic of the base with pontil - can anyone shed light on the presence of both the pontil and the diagonal seam?

Thanks - Sam

Bz77078.jpg

Attachments

• Bz77078.jpg
    Bz77078.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 97

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Hello, Sam . . .

Nice bottle! I think it is your bottle in McKearin/Wilson in Illustration 78,

Blue-aquamarine, long rectangular body, fluted corners, long cylindrical neck, narrow round collar,; inscribed lengthwise on one side: "GENUINE ESSENCE"; paper label on the other side: "From FREDERICK KLETT & CO's / ESS. PEPPERMINT. / Drug and Chemical Warehouse. N.E. Cor. Callowhill / and Second Streets, Philad'a." 1843-58 address. Capacity, 1.5oz. Height, 4 7/8". Body, 5/8" by 1 1/8".

The hinge-mold/open pontil scar is a common condition after about 1830.

Here is a link to an earlier thread where this combo is discussed (w/pix). https://www.antique-bottles.net/forum/m_2172/mpage_1/key_hinge%2Cmold/anchor/tm.htm#2239

----------Harry Pristis

Oldtimer

Reaction score
How about my "Dr. J Moore's Essance Life" ? It is the clear leaning bottle seen here. Pontiled, flattened disc top, and the mold line goes right under the pontil. Any clues to where it came from, and perhaps value? Kovels lists it at $90.00 US., but I don't place much stock in them.

Thanks

OT.

Yw68486.jpg

Attachments

• Yw68486.jpg
    Yw68486.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 79

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
OT . . .

I find no ready reference to a Dr. J. Moore.

There is a John M. Moore who bought the Fislerville Glass Works (Clayton, NJ) in 1856. McKearin-Wilson reproduce an 1867 advertisement which lists Moore as owner with no reference to his being a "Dr."

This is a possibility, but with a low probability, I think.

----------Harry Pristis

Pontiled

Reaction score
The J. Moore's Essence .... bottle is much earlier. I had one that still had about 2/3 of its contents remaining. It almost got me into a spot. One fellow really wanted it bad. He knew what the contents was and the heck with the bottle! I emptied the contents (a very high street value) down the toilet. I don't have my reference books nearby and we're fixing to leave to see my daughters, so I can't look for them now, but it seems to me that it may have been listed in 19th Century Medicines in Glass. I'll check when we return.

amblypygi

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Pontiled

The J. Moore's Essence .... bottle is much earlier. I had one that still had about 2/3 of its contents remaining. It almost got me into a spot. One fellow really wanted it bad. He knew what the contents was and the heck with the bottle! I emptied the contents (a very high street value) down the toilet. I don't have my reference books nearby and we're fixing to leave to see my daughters, so I can't look for them now, but it seems to me that it may have been listed in 19th Century Medicines in Glass. I'll check when we return.

Hi Mike,

Baldwin lists an ad for DJ or Dr. Moore's Essence Life from the Connecticut Courant (Hartford), January 4th, 1820. Hey, speaking of good bottle books, what's that limited first edition on the left going for these days? [:)]

Wu61408.jpg

Attachments

• Wu61408.jpg
    Wu61408.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 67

Pontiled

Reaction score
Hi! I haven't seen the First Edition listed for quite a while now. I know it's a goodie among antique bottle collectors. Be glad you have one. It sold out very quickly.

As for the J. Moore's bottle, I would easily put it into the 1820-1830 era with no real problem.

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
Hey, I also have one of Mike's "Limited First Edition" guides. Just how collectible are they? I didn't realize that they were sought after by collectors.

I find the Dr. J. Moore listed in Nielsen's GREAT AMERICAN PONTILED MEDICINES (1978) as having a two-star rarity (common). No history of the maker of the nostrum or of the bottle-maker.

-------------Harry Pristis

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday