Genuine Essence w/ Pontil -looking for info

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Sam_MaineBottles

Reaction score
Harry -

Thanks for the info on the Genuine Essence bottle - I can enjoy the bottle that much more knowing something of its background and history.

Thanks again - Sam

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Woody - I see two Covills Ink books also. I can see many doubles and triples there on the table[:mad:]. I am always buying bottle reference books, so if you're selling any amblypygi drop me a line please.

These are the ones I have, so far...

http://members.aol.com/meechuta/library.html

I am looking for the Toulouse and Covill books, which seem to always go for a small fortune. I am also trying to find the Dumbrell book for $1 or so [:D][:D][:D].

amblypygi

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: woody

Let me know if you want to part with that extra Covill's book, Sean.
I grew up in South Hadley, Mass.

Hi Woody,

I may be willing to part with that, but not for money. I prefer to keep money in the form of books, bottles or other art rather than in bank accounts, it's more enjoyable that way. Think about a trade and maybe we can work something out. You must have some doubles on your bottle shelf that you're bored with [:)]

I think you can get my email through the forum, right? If not, let me know.

Sean

amblypygi

Reaction score
Nice library Meech! I've been trying to get that Dumbrell book for a long time now too, it isn't easy. I've been picking up multiple copies of things because I think ebay is going to drive the hobby through the roof, and one can seldom just dig up the books, now can one [;)]

The toughest time I've had getting ahold of one so far (besides Dumbrell) was the Richard Fike Bottle Book, which is great. It seldom comes up, and always goes for a small fortune as you say.

Another one I've yet to acquire is Nielsen, got 2 of those do you? [:)]

Sean

Flaschenjager

Reaction score
Sean -
Thanks...When the Fike book comes up on eBay, and they notify me, you and I will probably be bidding against one another, along with 20 or more bottle nuts. The only doubles I have are of Baldwins - meds. I have a upstairs and a downstairs copy[;)]. My Nielsen's GREAT AMERICAN PONTILED MEDICINES was picked up only recently and for under $20 if I remember correctly. I saw a copy a few days ago go for nearly $70. A lot of what I have, believe it or not, I bought as a lot or for $1 or $2 a book. Then there's some that I probably paid too much. You can still get some of these books fairly cheap, maybe not on eBay, but there are ways. This won't last long though.

When I see the Nielsen book, I'll shoot you an email and let you know when and where.

David E

Reaction score
Bottle makers and their Marks, Julian Toulouse 76-14715
ISBN 0-8407-4318-1
Check your Library for it, we had one but someone stole it and had to borrow it from an Oregon Library (somtime back) Looks like it was printed in 1976. Lucky I was cheap and copied all down before (no I didn't steal it). Anyway way back when a local book store told me he could order it for $25.00 (its' hard back). Well if I can read my writing I have it.

Michael E. FIKE, The Bottle book( A comphrehensive guide to historic, embosed medicine bottles . Gibes M. Smith Inc,, Peregrine Smith Books Salt Lake City 1987.
First Edition 91 90 89 87 5 4 3 2 1
Copywrite 1987 Gibbs M Smith Inc.
ISBN 0-87905-218-X
293 pages (no I didn't steal it it was given to me) Does not gives prices, but gives everything else. Cost unknown.

Dave

amblypygi

Reaction score
Hey Meech,

I won't be bidding against you, I finally managed to get a copy a while ago on ebay. It was one of a lot of 6 good books that went for about $100, so I don't feel too bad about it. I've since re-sold 2 of the others for $65, so I didn't do too bad on the Fike. It really is a good book, tons of information. Our university library has a copy and the archaeologists have almost used it to death, the binding is in tatters. Before I found mine I was planning to try to scan that copy, although they don't let it leave the library so I would have had to beg.

There are a couple of copies of Nielsen on the web for 125-150, but I can't do that right yet without pissing off a certain significant other who rightfully doesn't think we need more books at the moment. As you may have noticed in the picture, everything I own is stacked haphazardly because we are doing major house renovations which have basically cost us the use of several rooms [>:]

I'd like to start another thread on the increasing rarity of good scores on ebay, but maybe I should make that a fresh post.

Sean

Oldtimer

Reaction score
Thanks for the info on the DJMEL.

I am stunned there is such intrest in the books. You'll all be proud to know I have 3; 2 Kovells, 1 Stuart & Cosentino "Bottles, a guide for the beginning collector".
I prefer digging in the dirt for bottles. I can't imagine having so many bottles that I needed to dig for books too. Thats what this forum is for right?[:D]

Oldtimer

Reaction score
That is a keeper! 1820-1830 bottles are sorta hard to find, let alone one with a partial lable!

I found a Dr.J. Moore's Essence Life with crude pontil (no Label) for 20 bucks and thought I did well. Kovels lists it as being a $90.00 bottle. True value is hard to place.

Please post a pic!

amblypygi

Reaction score
Hi Nancy,

Yes, I agree with oldtimer; that's a keeper! A picture would help, but what you describe sounds like a nice early labeled bottle that would likely sell for $100 or more because of the label.

Now, as Thoreau made fun of us for doing, you should keep it for your kids [:)]

Sean

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorginaAc