German Half post bottle?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ajohn

Reaction score
Thanks for that info.Thanks Mike for posting those pics.I'm on my way to my box of stoppers!

annie44

Reaction score
Art glass bottle on ebay......

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nice-Art-Glass-Bottle-Bi-Color-Pontil_W0QQitemZ220536706306QQihZ012QQcategoryZ988QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26ps%3D63

saratogadriver

Reaction score
See, that one's obvious to me, even from the pics. It looks like bottles from the Jamestown Glass operation, where I've stood and watched them blow these. That particular green glass stands out to me as modern (although I've owned a CT/NE utility in about that color and quality of glass that had a very old blacking bottle label on it that I know was old (purchased 4 for $1.50 apiece back in the early 80s at a garage sale along with an 1850s era master ink, a bunch of pontiled puffs and other period pieces that still had lots of dirt from whatever attic they wandered out of)).

You guys have basically convinced me. Until this thread, I did not realize that anyone had made a modern Half Post Method bottle. If I bought any HPM, I'd only be buying a flask anyway, and then only something I knew was American (Euro stuff not my thing). But it's good to know what is out there.

I'd still like to know the source, but it doesn't appear that information is readily available out there. Not one of the easy to define places like clevenger, and certainly doesn't look like the cheap czech repros that I've seen (and own one of).

Jim G

ORIGINAL: annie44

Art glass bottle on ebay......

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nice-Art-Glass-Bottle-Bi-Color-Pontil_W0QQitemZ220536706306QQihZ012QQcategoryZ988QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26ps%3D63

baltbottles

Reaction score
I will add my two cents being I have probably dug more 18th century privies then anyopne else on this site. I will tell you I have never seen a color or form like that in an 18th century context. Also if these were old I would suspect that there would be examples listed in early collections and books. Which is also lacking. So its of my opinion that these have only been showing up within the past 10-15 years at the most. And quite a few of them at that. So to me the evidence points to a modern made bottle.

On the other hand Ajohns two bottles are orginal and whoever told him they were repros was wrong. Everything about his bottles are right except the two modern stoppers that were sold with them to replace the orginal missing stoppers.

Chris

farmerdan

Reaction score
WOW this has become quite a thread! When I remarked that the topic was certainly up for debate, I had no idea I would learn so much from a single thread - and from some of the country's true experts on the subject! Nothing compares to this forum for amassed knowledge and the great people who are willing to share it. I bet the OP's mind is blown! Thanks everyone, and I hope we can somehow come to a final determination. My two cents- I think I"ve definitely been swayed to the "NEW" side. Still a cool bottle- there would certainly be a place for it on my shelf!

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I just LOVE threads like this!! I learn so much about bottles and in such an enjoyable and interesting, random kind of way.. thanks to all you amazingly well informed folks who share their knowledge and wisdom with the rest of us!! Thank you ! ! !
..as a token of my sincere appreciation, I will not make a single silly wisecrack on this thread.. unless provoked..

hartmans2

Reaction score
Annie with all due respect I don't see how that resembles my bottle?

You guys are all great! I love a good discussion and I love researching my finds along the way. For now I will display this bottle nicely [:)] One day I will have proven evidence either one way or the other. lol For now I give it a place of honor with the title of unproven age. Color although we think it to bright for a common bottle of the GHP it may have been a "fluke" or a just a darned good batch of glass! lol As for wear who knows where and what this bottle has seen? maybe it's just seen the 70's-2010 in a box? Who knows.....for now I will just keep it.

The other bottles? someone asked about in the boxes....I seriously have no clue. They looked OLD to me but remember I am the one who hand picked the prettiest one I could find. LOL and it's new so there is probably little reason to ask me that to begin with. [;)]

What I really love to do is DIG!! I want to learn where to go to DIG my own bottles......
is there a link to a really informative thread for me to READ? this one has been fun and I have appreciated all your comments and theories.
Theresa

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles