GLENSHAW GLASS COMPANY ~ PENNSYLVANIA ~ BOTTLE DATE CODES ~ BRIEF HISTORY ~ ETC.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

squirtbob

Reaction score
SODAPOPBOB said:
Hold the phone! Its starting to look as if the double-digit numbers that follow the style number 700 might not be dates but are some other type of code. I've even seen a 700-32 on a 7up bottle that I know for certain is not a 1932 ACL. I'm now thinking the mysterious double-digit numbers are connected in some way with the bottles style/shape. Hence, the so called [G] 700 52 Joe Louis Punch bottle was likely not made in 1952 but possibly earlier. Hey, squirtbob You're the resident expert on the [G] 700 bottles. Please help me out here and let us know what your take is on the double-digit numbers. Gracias' [:)]
Hey Bob,
I just looked at all the Glenshaw squirt bottles in my collection that have a (G) 700 on the bottom. Here's a sample of the other numbers on the bottom ... 6,10,16,45,21,17,11,43,52,25,28,63,57,49,20,49,61,8 . All of these bottles could be positively identified by the lip code and the bottle type as coming from 1939-1947. In NO instance did the number match the date of the bottle. So the other numbers have absolutely nothing to do with the year of manufacture. The only thing out of the ordinary that I noticed while looking at these bottles is that I have a bottle with an S on the lip which also has an S on the bottom (a 1947 bottle) the other number on the base is 57. One other had an R on the lip and on the bottom (a 1946 bottle), the other number on the bottom was 40. These are the only two that I've seen that have the date code on the bottle twice and this is just another indicator that the dating from this era was determined by the letter and that the number means something else. I thought you had determined previously that the other number on the bottom was some type mold number??

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
squirtbob Thanks for the info. Very helpful and much appreciated. Question: Are all of the bottles you listed 7 ounce and identical in style/shape? As for the mold numbers, based on what I've seen those typically range from 1 to 10 and possibly as high as 20. Its the higher numbers such as 49 that I'm trying to make sense of. I don't think the higher double-digit numbers have anything to do with the acl label, but they must be related to something. Please tell us about the two 49 bottles you listed. What do they have in common and what do they not have in common, or are they identical in every aspect? Thanks

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S. Even though the single and double-digit numbers do not correlate to dates, do the lower numbers happen to be on earlier bottles and the higher numbers on later bottles? For example; is the 43 on an earlier bottle and the 63 on a later bottle?

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I selected this bottle making machine at random to illustrate that even as late as 1946-1956 the machines typically had about 10 molds. I'm not a bottle machine expert and realize this requires more research, but my preliminary findings are that there were no bottle machines in the 1940s that had 63+ molds, which is one of the numbers on squirtbob's Squirt bottles. If you count the molds in the attached image (circular parts in main illustration) you'll notice there are only ten of them.

Filed: ..........August 5, 1946
Patented: ....August 7, 1956

https://www.google.com/patents/US2757484?dq=Owens+bottle+machine&hl=en&sa=X&ei=i1NSVM7CAYOoyAS4h4GoAw&ved=0CCQQ6AEwAQ

"Blank molds: The machine has ten blank or parison molds."

Attachments

• 763fdb3b5ffe4e1fa02e42bc7830fff1.jpg
    763fdb3b5ffe4e1fa02e42bc7830fff1.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 109

squirtbob

Reaction score
SODAPOPBOB said:
squirtbob Thanks for the info. Very helpful and much appreciated. Question: Are all of the bottles you listed 7 ounce and identical in style/shape? As for the mold numbers, based on what I've seen those typically range from 1 to 10 and possibly as high as 20. Its the higher numbers such as 49 that I'm trying to make sense of. I don't think the higher double-digit numbers have anything to do with the acl label, but they must be related to something. Please tell us about the two 49 bottles you listed. What do they have in common and what do they not have in common, or are they identical in every aspect? Thanks
All of the (G) 700 bottles referenced earlier are 7 oz green bottles, and all Squirt. The numbers appear to have nothing whatsoever related to the date. I have a 1939 (K lip) and 1945 (Q lip) that both have the number 17 on the bottom. The bottles that have the number 49 on the bottom date to (M 1941) and (S 1947). I have an 8 that dates (L 1940) and a 10 that dates (S 1947). I have two 25's, one is from (R 1946) and (S 1947). I'm sure if anybody can figure that randomness out it will be you ...or you'll die trying....hopefully you'll stop before that. [:)]

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Bob Thanks - making progress - maybe - I hope Heck, you're the one doing all the work. I'm just kickin' back askin' questions. Next question: Is there any correlation between the higher numbers and location? For example; Are both of the 43 bottles from the same state, town, region, etc.? And what about the two 25's, any location connection with them?

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
~ Observations thus far ... Regarding the Squirt [G] 700 bottles ~ 1. The double-digit numbers such as 25, 49, 63, are not related to dates.2. The same numbers are probably not mold numbers.3. The numbers are probably not related to the acl labels.4. The numbers are probably not related to the color of the glass. 5. The common denominator with the 700 number is that all of the bottles are 7 Ounce and all are the same size and shape. Thus, I believe the 700 number is the basic "style" number. 6. The single-digit numbers 1 through 10 are probably mold numbers. 7. Which leaves the higher double-digit numbers unaccounted for.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Just for the record regarding the color of the glass ... I have a clear glass, 7 ounce "Crown Beverages" Glenshaw bottle marked with [G] 700 62

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
My "Crown Beverages" bottle is packed away and this is the only picture of it I currently have. I'll dig it out later and take a picture of the base and check to see where it's from ...

Attachments

• aee547ded08749f0a15f83fa7311b7ad.jpg
    aee547ded08749f0a15f83fa7311b7ad.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 98

squirtbob

Reaction score
SODAPOPBOB said:
Bob Thanks - making progress - maybe - I hope Heck, you're the one doing all the work. I'm just kickin' back askin' questions. Next question: Is there any correlation between the higher numbers and location? For example; Are both of the 43 bottles from the same state, town, region, etc.? And what about the two 25's, any location connection with them?
I thought about that also, but I don't see any correlation at all. Bottles with number11 from Illinois and New Jersey and Delaware. 43 from Kentucky and Maryland. 57 in Maryland and North Dakota, 10 from Ohio and Wisconsin. And the clincher I have several bottles from Cumberland, Maryland 16,17,17,61,57,43. The lowest number anywhere was 6 and it was not the oldest and also from Kentucky.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyH