Great dig today!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Jim

Reaction score
One of my best digs ever happened this morning. I hooked up with two other diggers (both of whom I just met today) and we had a blast! My best finds were THREE good local milk bottles- Pint Lewistown Pure Milk Co.; Pint cream-top Royale Dairy and a quart pyro Lewistown Pure buttermilk (not pictured). Also pictured are two sodas (one local), a pair of McKesson KR-42 poisons in green and amber, a fancy little salt shaker, a porcelain soap dish, cobalt pill bottle, L.M. Green medicine and a Glover's Imperial Medicine. There were more, I took home over 20 keepers and left a lot of common stuff behind. Can't wait to go back [;)] Jim

Pm35114.jpg

Attachments

• Pm35114.jpg
    Pm35114.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 55

Jim

Reaction score
Close-up of the Royale cream-top:

Tr49057.jpg

Attachments

• Tr49057.jpg
    Tr49057.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 43

Jim

Reaction score
Lewistown Pure Milk Co. pint:

Ki18015.jpg

Attachments

• Ki18015.jpg
    Ki18015.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 50

madman

Reaction score
wow every ones hiting the jackpot ! that is a nice dig bud! milks are always nice, the nehi is cool whats the other read? glovers is cool too,think it was used for horses, i never new those were poisons, found lots of those, tossed them as extract bottles,woops!! whats the tall skinny corker, also the small cobalt, congrats on a sweet dig mike

Bottleman

Reaction score
WOW, very nice dig Jim! That’s great that you are getting into a better area. I always enjoy digging milks but for some reason they are pretty hard to find here in Centre County. I really like that Royale Dairy! Good luck digging and maybe we can plane a dig together next month.

~~Tom

Jim

Reaction score
Hi Mike, The other soda is a Try-Me Beverages from Lewistown. The skinny corker is the L.M. Green medicine. Yes, definitely keep the McKessons. They are not a rare bottle, but they are worth a couple bucks anyway and are listed in the poison books. I think the tiny cobalt is a pill bottle. I've never seen one like it before.

Hey Tom, Good to hear from you. I was very happy with the milks, every one I found before was busted or cracked except for one common Universal Store Bottle. The Royale is my favorite, too. Cream-top pints are very scarce. I had to fix up the pyroglaze on the quart Lewistown Pure buttermilk that I dug with the other two. It was faded bad, but it looks decent now. I used a fine-tip marker, which was difficult because there was NO pyro left, only a faint outline. I used blue, which would have been the original color on this bottle. I'll post a pic of it soon.

I'm looking forward to digging with you. Hopefully we can do some privies this summer! Jim

Haldy

Reaction score
Jim:

Thanks again for letting me dig with you and I'm glad you made some nice "finds". Hope you get a change to hook up with Gene soon and let me know how the 2 of you make out. The bottles look real nice cleaned up. I'll let you know when I'm going to be in the area again so we can do some more digging.

Denny

Jim

Reaction score
Hi Denny, Glad you enjoyed our dig. Any time you're in the area, just let me know and we can do it again. My bottles cleaned up nicely as well. I hope to do some digging with Gene later this week. I'll have some pics up as soon as we get some more goodies. I want to try that big hole again and see if there are a few more milks [:)] Thanks for joining me, and welcome back any time! Jim

Bottleman

Reaction score
Jim, the best way to repaint a milk bottle is with pain and a toothpick. It’s a lot of work but if you have a steady hand they turn out amazing. Most people use oil base paint but I prefer water base. When I use water base paint I usually spray the bottle with a clear coat of lacquer in the end so it won’t come off.

Jim

Reaction score
I've heard of people toothpick-painting pyro milks. I think I'll try it eventually on this one. The marker will wash off, I just wanted to get it looking half decent. Here it is, Lewistown Pure Milk Co. quart buttermilk. It is one of the scarcer ones from this dairy. Jim

He97171.jpg

Attachments

• He97171.jpg
    He97171.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 47

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday