Hand blown bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

chisler

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, would there be any interest in bottles that are hand blown from molds, with the design hand engraved as it was done the old fashion way, like Clevenger and companies prior to they use to do it?

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hi chisler; I decided to write to you to see what your point is. Hand blown bottles have been blown in molds for many years. There are lots of books on the subject and information is all over the place.
One of the best sources about old bottles is http://www.sha.org/bottles/index htm.

That is a good place to start learning.

Welcome as a new member, we hope you gain help with your objectives.
RED Matthews

chisler

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply RED. I see your point. The question was poorly worded and cryptic. The reason I asked is because I am an engraver. My father and I used to do the engraving for Clevenger Glass, after Jim Travis took over. I haven't seen the sort of bottles that Clevenger used to do, whether it be the commemorative type or generic designs on the market they closed up and Jim passed away. I am debating whether it would be worth the time and money attempting to blow bottles with hand engraved designs again. Do you think there would be an interest in some new designs. I figure with the vast knowledge that people have in this forum, that this is as good a place as any to ask the question.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hi chisler, I thank you for getting back to me. When you talk about working on Clevenger Molds and engraving, it perked my interest. It sounds to me like there wouldn't be a lot of market for this type of thing. I worked in the glass bottle business for about 45 years. I am also quite familiar with the mold requirements for ABM (Automatic Bottle Machine) made, molds and mold equipment. Since retirement I have been studying the methods used from 1500 to 1900, to evaluate the marks made on glass in the earlier Mouth Blown Bottle eras. Maybe we should continue our evaluations outside the Forum, to learn more about what your are wanting to do. bottlemysteries@yahoo.com
RED Matthews

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen