Handed a 6" carters cathedral ink

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottlechaser62

Reaction score
I was going to wait until I got some other pics but wanted to share a recent find that ended up in my hands this week. I'll try to make it quick. A guy that works for me does metal detecting and occasionally comes across bottles in his explorations. He had been meaning to bring these old bottles in to let me look at as we had been sharing treasure hunting stories and discovered that we both had scratched around in the same construction area where a railroad had once been. He said these bottles came from on top of this mound area where the ash was and I knew where he was talking about. The only issue was that the only thing I had come across were some pieces of machine made bottles. Apparently he made it to this area right after it was graded in the winter and I didnt get over there until February. In any case, he brought the Kroger bag of bottles in and opened the bag up. Yes, he had a few common bromo seltzers, W.B. Caldwells, a machine made ink and a few other unembossed nothing bottles...........BUT..right in the middle of all these commons were 2 items that stuck out of the pack. I couldnt believe that he had a Cathedral ink and a milkglass bottle that had the curved neck in which the lip opening actually faces east to west( no other way to explain it) Ive seen this bottle in an old Carlos Sellari( a really nice guy) bottle book and I think the one in the book said "ODOJ" on the bottom of it. This one didnt say ODOJ but it did have embossing on it. I was too focused on the small cathedral and was wondering if he was going to make a deal with me on it that I didnt really look at the milkglass in detail. To make a long story short, he wanted to just give me the ink bottle but we negotiated a fair price as I would have felt bad just taking it from him. He's bringing the milkglass bottle back to work tommorrow and I told him I wanted to get some pictures of it. Meanwhile, here's some shots of the small Carters and the area where he found it.

7EB6C0F5596D4F3C84EDB7966E2B840B.jpg

Attachments

• 7EB6C0F5596D4F3C84EDB7966E2B840B.jpg
    7EB6C0F5596D4F3C84EDB7966E2B840B.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 46

bottlechaser62

Reaction score
Top where tracks used to be and where ink was found

B0A19CFDFDCE41B39BD40002093B7E97.jpg

Attachments

• B0A19CFDFDCE41B39BD40002093B7E97.jpg
    B0A19CFDFDCE41B39BD40002093B7E97.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 41

donalddarneille

Reaction score
It sounds like the milk glass bottle you are trying to describe is a tooth powder, sounds identical to one I have. Can't wait to see the pics, and nice ink too!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foothillsarchaeology