hassled by police again

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

beendiggin

Reaction score
I don't like messing with the cops, but I would go back there...maybe on a rainy day, or a foggy day, or at 4 a.m., or a holiday, but I would go back. Your odds are they won't be there again when you are. However, I would also try real hard to figure out how they learned of your presence, and work around that if possible. Is it a nosy neighbor, are you making too much noise, are you in plain sight, near a footpath or what? Someone saw you or saw what you did and called them. But who?

madman

Reaction score
yo, ive been hassled , thank god they didnt see the shovels lol mike

FloridaDigger

Reaction score
Kim; ...not only trespassing; but the state of Florida now has a law that you cant bottle dig(or even pick up old bottles); ..its considered historic and property of the state(similar to indian artifacts & fossils). Thats why he made you put the bottle back. Its a real shame when you cant take home trash.

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hey Lobes, I read all of your post's because half the time I disagree with you 110 percent, and half the time I agree with you 110 percent! I never know till I read um. lol! I got to say on this one you nailed it. (imho) People that dig without permission..... that's fine. I hope you find that Bryant's bitters! Man I will be cheering you on! However, If you get caught with a wonderful 1880's Worchestershire bottle in your hand and you go to jail, or are brought up on charges and have to pay a lot of money to keep your ass out of jail........ who you gonna blame? Blame your own self. It is a bottle, for cryin out loud,..... And if it is on someone else's land, It is their bottle. Just My Humble Opinion, Kelley

arthur

Reaction score
I agree on getting permission first. If you can not just say oh well and go on to the next one. I dive on a river that is filled with old landfills the area I dive in is spread 25 miles long and has 17 old dump sites under water and some are in VA and others in WVA. crossing 3 counties. I approached every town and also the county to get permission to dive these areas and explained to them what I was doing. They all gave me permission in writing and wished me well. Recently I dove at an old RR trestle where a caboose was under the trestle in the water. I went to the RR NFS and told them what I was doing and after 2 meetings and 1 counciil meeting they gave me permission in writing. Thank God for that as during the 2nd dive a state trooper saw us from the road and radioed for back up. When your in the water and 4 state troopers show up possibly thinking I am going to blow this up it can get a little hairy. Showing them the paper work I had. They all left, shaking their heads. It is not worth getting fined or going to jail just for a bottle. Get permision, its not hard to do.

Dabeel

Reaction score
Baltimore to Oakland/San Francisco, now San Diego
Well said Arthur,

That's amazing that you were able to get written permissions from city councils!
With all the hub bub over archaeologists and laws trying to be passed to limit our hobby....that's good for you.
I couldn't even imagine trying to get the red tape experts in California to give me written permissions.....No problems with getting owner permissions though.
Good advice.

Doug

appliedlips

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: baltbottles

A few guys with hard hats usually looks more offical then one guy. Don't seem to have many problems when you dress for the part.

Great advice the first time,but after you have been thrown out it's too late.Knowing the properties owners name is also good advice (already mentionted). If I am following this post correctly,permission was never seeked.What is the holdoup?Assuming the answer is going to be no,on account of some conspiracy theory is silly..You never know until you ask.

appliedlips

Reaction score
I'm with you Arthur.Recently I have been digging the privies at the White House.Of course,my request was initially vetoed by the President. Persistence was the key however,after a week of congressional hearings and ringing endorsements by the Queen, the Dahli Lama, and Ryan Seacrest permission was secured. Boy,I am glad we went throught the proper channels because we were continually hassled by the Secret Service and the local PTA.

ORIGINAL: arthur

I agree on getting permission first. If you can not just say oh well and go on to the next one. I dive on a river that is filled with old landfills the area I dive in is spread 25 miles long and has 17 old dump sites under water and some are in VA and others in WVA. crossing 3 counties. I approached every town and also the county to get permission to dive these areas and explained to them what I was doing. They all gave me permission in writing and wished me well. Recently I dove at an old RR trestle where a caboose was under the trestle in the water. I went to the RR NFS and told them what I was doing and after 2 meetings and 1 counciil meeting they gave me permission in writing. Thank God for that as during the 2nd dive a state trooper saw us from the road and radioed for back up. When your in the water and 4 state troopers show up possibly thinking I am going to blow this up it can get a little hairy. Showing them the paper work I had. They all left, shaking their heads. It is not worth getting fined or going to jail just for a bottle. Get permision, its not hard to do.

glass man

Reaction score
YEars ago I was digging on a man's land and had been told he would under no reason let anyone dig on his land and there was no reason to even ask him. Of course I went to dig anyway. Soon I heard a riding lawn mower getting closer and closer. Well the person turned up on his mower and asked what the Hell I was doing on his land.I did not run ,lie ,etc. I told him I was digging bottles and would leave.It took the man aback and he said "Well at least you tell the truth,go ahead and finish digging that bottle,BUT DON'T COME BACK![course it was a sawyers[:mad:]] He said I am going over here and shoot my pistal to see it is still in good working order. IT WAS! I LEFT AS SOON AS I COULD BECAUSE I WAS AFAID HE WOULD CHANGE HIS MIND!

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alatide