Hello! Newbie question

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottlenewbie

Reaction score
Hello All! I am a new to this, but can't wait to start digging here in catonsville, maryland. I must say I am somewhat worried about hitting electrical wires, gas lines, and water lines though. Any suggestions on how to avoid these, and is there any equipment available to avoid/detect these so I don't probe them? Thanks Much!

Trying not to break it

Reaction score
hi bottlenewbie, welcome to the forum. have you dug before? i also dig in the catonsville- ellicott city area. bg&e would be able to tell you where underground cables & gas lines are. if you have a certain spot you want to try contact them and they can tell you. good luck digging. rhona

zanes_antiques

Reaction score
Dig the first few feet with a "Soft Shovel". Then you sill have to be careful not to hit sewer lines too Terra Cotta breaks easily and is difficult to find replacements for. Good luck! You'll get a feel for it. You must remember most importantly....DON'T BREAK ANY GLASS , POTTERY!!! Don't poke holes in good stuff with your probe either.

bottlenewbie

Reaction score
Thanks for the good advice! I definitely don't want to hit any glass or pottery! I haven't dug yet, I just bought some equipment and books and am trying to find out as much as possible before the adventure begins.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter