Help stop this scamer on ebay!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottleboy311

Reaction score
THIS GUY IS SELLING ALTERED GLASS SAYING IT WOULD TURN DEEP PURPLE IF IT WAS LEFT OUT IN THE SUN LONG ENOUGH!

LOOK AT THE BELOW SITE:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-BLACK-PURPLE-AMETHYST-fruit-jar-SEAL-FAST_W0QQitemZ6258791267QQcategoryZ892QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This clown is at it again saying that the dark purple jars and bottles listed would naturally turn this color if they were left out in the sun. Note he says in his listing "heat source" and it is known that heat will turn SCA glass back to clear. He or someone else are altering these jars and bottles because no way will the turn that purple with sun light. He currently is listing at least 6 altered jars or bottles on ebay. His ebay screen name is: letsgo2libby.

I think if a bunch of us should email him through ebay telling him we do not stand for his attemps to try to pull the wool over the eyes of the public. That he is not selling a collectibles because the glass has been altered. Natural sun would never in 100 years turn manganes glass that deep of a purple. There is very little value in these bottles and jars all he is selling is "eye candy". Furthermore we should all tell him, we will not bid on any items he has listed either pure or altered as long as he continues to lists alter glass. If he gets enough emails from people like us maybe he will change his ways. Another idea is to start email the bidders. Help to educate them. I the idea is to hit him where it hurts, "in the wallet".

It is just an idea. What do you think?

Lee

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Hey Lee...

I just sent him a message and in os many words told him that he purposely misleading bidders and preying on unsuspecting buyers... Let's see what he says[&:]

Wayne

tncgal

Reaction score
Another idea is to start email the bidders. Help to educate them

You can email the seller, but not the bidders. eBay calls that "auction interference" and it could result in suspending your account permanently. I wish it wasn't true, but it is. :-(

GuntherHess

Reaction score
He has been selling for a long time on ebay and is a fairly respected bottle dealer.
Nothing he said is a lie although you may consider it misleading.
I wouldnt buy those dark amethyst items because they dont look natural to me but some people really do like them.

bottleboy311

Reaction score
He has been selling for a long time on ebay and is a fairly respected bottle dealer.

When you take a $4.00 Jar alter the color to make it Deep Purple and than get over $35.00 for it there is nothing respectable about that. If he was respetable he would not say in his listing and this is a direct quote:

It is NOT an altered jar, as this purple color would naturally occur over many years exposure to the sun.

This is not respect this is an out right con. The jar would never turn that color in 100 years. It has been altered.

If he said we altered this jar to give it this nice deep purple effect and got $50.00 for it I would respect him. But he is misleading buyers that think this is a natural effect of the glass. You know and I know it is not.

I have a few jars and a few bottles that have been nuked or altered to a deep purple. All of them were either given to me or were thrown in on a deal that I bought other items. There is very little value in them as far as I am concerned, they are basicly eye candy. Maybe I should lie about them, and tell every one they are natural and they are not altered. That they would normally look like that if they had been in the sun for a long time. Gee I could make a lot of money. But I also think of my integrety. You see I have to look myself in the mirror every morning to shave.

I respect myself and my values. Some out there on ebay have no values or scruples.

Lee

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I guess people have different levels of tolerance.
I see a lot worse stuff on ebay. His auctions dont even begin to register on my scale of scammers. Sorry I just dont share your outrage.

jarsnstuff

Reaction score
Lee, while you are correct that the sun will never turn a jar that dark & the guy says it does - it looks to me like you're chasing windmills here. The really dark irradiated jars have been around for about 10 years now, and these common lightning seal jars have been selling for about $35 - $40 dollars all that time. I think that's the generally accepted going rate for them. And, fyi, I know of no one who's been able to get the purple jars to go back to clear, but the brown ones do. I think your energy would be much better spent getting those folks selling modern repros for big bucks kicked off ebay and all other selling venues. Just another person's opinion I guess. -Tammy

bearswede

Reaction score
Makes sense, Tammy...

I just emailed a guy who was selling a Jn Greenhow sealed bottle on ebay... His auction page stated he didn't know whether it was old or not, so that's fair... I just wanted him to know that there is no known complete pre-20th century example of that bottle, that any existing pieces would have to be the repro once sold by Colonial Williamsburg, Inc... He took it well, thanked me...

Ron

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyH