Help with old beer bottle I found in river

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Deezuldog

Reaction score
Hi, I just found this website and registered. Looks like a GREAT place to share info.

I bought an old farm on the Little Kanawha River near Palestine, WV. Yesterday went retrieved an old beer bottle from the river. So far, this is what I have discovered via internet searches.
Amber color, BIM, BLOB, Pontil base (smooth, no numbers/letters/mold marks/rod marks, etc..) (THIS COULD ALL BE WRONG!!!!!-cuz I know nothing about bottles)

Embossed with design surrounded by "THE AMERICAN BREWING & ICE CO." HUNTINGTON, WV

on back of bottle at the bottom is D.O.C. 52 (I found that this is the Cunningham Glass Co, Pittsburgh, PA, and that probably the 52 is a mfgr code, or mold number, but not a date)

I can find NO references to the American Brewing & Ice Co. of Huntington, WV
I am not a collector, but find stuff all the time around this old farm. This was a very, very busy place in the 1800's, and the site of an old US ARMY Corp of Engineers LOCK AND DAM facility is located about 200 yds below my house. My house sits on the river's edge and was built in 1890 and used to house a general store and a postoffice (post office was established in 1905). It was named Ivan, WV and still shows up on the map if you do a Yahoo maps search of Ivan, WV.

I'd really like to find info on the brewing company, and get as precise a date on the bottle as possible. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I'd be glad to post photos of it if anyone is interested.

Thanks, Buck

Lj22158.jpg

Attachments

• Lj22158.jpg
    Lj22158.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 74

stefan

Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to the forum. It is a fantastic storehouse of info for collectors. By all means post a pic. By the way, you should look around for old privies on your property. They are a great place to find treasures.
Good luck

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aarhar75