Hocking or Hemingray mark?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

tncgal

Reaction score
A friend has a bowl with a HG Co mark. The bowl glows brilliantly under blacklight. She's been told it's probably 1920-1930's by Hocking and that Hemingray used HG Co in the 1880's. I've found no reference that Hocking used this mark.

I'm looking for additional input, please.

110828270.jpg

110828274.jpg

whiskeyman

Reaction score
Hiya TNCGAL...well, It's probably not Hemingray...looks like 1920's Depression Era glassware...(I bet ya knew alla that)...LOL.
Tell your friend to search for marks used by Hocking Glass Company as they were around quite a few years before a merger::
Anchor Hocking Glass Corporation came into existence on December 31, 1937 when the Anchor Cap and Closure Corporation and its subsidiaries merged with the Hocking Glass Company.
I did a small amount of googling but could locate no marks...:(

tncgal

Reaction score
Whiskeyman, thanks for responding.
A couple of other people have also told us it is not Hemingray.

We've searched the net, but can't find this mark attributed to Hocking.
Hopefully, someone will have some proof for us.

tncgal

Reaction score
Hi, Brian!

Some collectors would probably call this Vaseline glass because of the glow of the uranium dioxide content under ultraviolet light. From what I see in her photo, the coloring is a bit too green in natural light but have no doubt that it glows brilliantly. Of course, monitors show colors differently.

The Vaseline Glass Collectors, Inc. defines Vaseline glass as a transparent, yellow-green glass. It was named Vaseline glass (by collectors) years after the making because it was similar to the color of petroleum jelly as it appeared in 1900.

I'm sure this is more than you ever wanted to know! :)

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday