Welcome to our Antique Bottles Community

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Antique Bottle Community on the Web.

Register Log in

Horshoe Forestry Company

cobaltbot

Apr 7, 2006
Delta, PA
This is the jar I got for my birthday. Melinda had pointed it out, thanks Melinda and its not listed in Redbook #9 (can someone look in 10). I put it next to the flauccus for size but it holds exactly a pint up to the shoulder, a bit more than the flauccus. The Horseshoe Forestry Company was run by A.A. Low an inventer who at the time of his death had more patents than anyone except Thomas Edison. He had a railroad built into Horseshoe and then sold it to a nearby railroad for a dollar. Besides running a logging operation the company also put out maple syrup, wild berry preserves, elderberry wine, and bottled water.

Attachments

cobaltbot

Apr 7, 2006
Delta, PA
Here is the back of their jar with the same embossing that's all on the front of mine. Because of the boiling kettle they were quessing that their jar was from maple syrup, but it or mine could have also been used for the wild berry preserves, it would be nice to see both with paper labels.

Attachments

surfaceone

Dec 9, 2008
Hey Steve,

What a great series of bottles and jars! Mr. Low certainly did not skimp on the embossing. Are all the R's & S's facing the proper way? Thanks so much for showing them. Is the wine displayed on a vintage capping or corking device?

cobaltbot

Apr 7, 2006
Delta, PA
Thanks surf, I didn't realize just how many R's there were but I don't think there's any embossing error. I don't think the wine is on a capper but if I ever get up that way, I'm stopping in to get a better look!

CanYaDigIt

Feb 5, 2009
Sacramento, CA
It's not listed in RB10. I remember reading about this jar somewhere and the reasoning behind it not being in the book. I think it's because it's not a fruit/food/canning jar. If I remember correctly, it likely held some type of dry goods like snuff or other type of tobacco.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lilbit