How much is it worth?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

botil

Reaction score
Thanks again everybody for your interesting opinions.
It's grate talking about bottles.

pilio5.jpg

Very nice collection of perfume corkscrews, Matt. I'll let you know if I find one for you.
Juan Carlos.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I've never heard of a perfume corkscrew!!
They are just gorgious!! What would I expect to pay if I can across one of these?

The bone, MOP, ivory can go for $15-50 , the silver sell for about $40-100+
My wife's collection.
They are mostly English and came in sewing or other vanity sets.

beendiggin

Reaction score
Have you asked an auctioneer or reputable antique /glass dealer in your area to give you an estimate on value? Try museum curators as well.

botil

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cowseatmaize

Hi, the lip is unusual but I'm from the school that if a glass blower wants the embelish they will. I don't think it a repro but it would be the color to buy it for. I agree it may be more of an utilitary type than a gin. I wouldn't hesitate to go tor $200 US if I had the cash. It's a beauty. I have to also add that here in the states people are less like to spend that much on European bottles and that in europe bottles of that age are more common do to the MUCH longer history. If you can afford it and want it you'll have to check more of the trends in your area to help you decide.
I would refer you to Peasant Interior by David Teniers (1610-90) painting that is depicted in American Bottles and Flasks and Thier Ancestry. It's similar in form. I may be going out on a limb but these are some thoughts. Good luck on YOUR desision.

ORIGINAL: beendiggin
Have you asked an auctioneer or reputable antique /glass dealer in your area to give you an estimate on value? Try museum curators as well.

Yes, I did it and these are the answers I've received today from Earlyglass:

I wish I could buy it for £30!!!!
Tongue.gif

Add another nought and you are beginning to talk. It's late 18th C at the latest, I think likely French but with a hint of Catelonia/Spanish style in there?.... Difficult to say, as with all these earlier pieces. Had one a good while back very similar, bigger but not quite so attractive. As you can tell, botil, the British guys aren't up on the more uncommn continental forms or their prices, (thank goodness - at least there's stll something for me).
Nice one would like it myself, let me know if you ever want to let go.
Wink.gif

www.earlyglass.com

Early Glass, it's unique, it's historic, it's an investment in craftmanship...

ORIGINAL: botil
A similar botlle is listed on "Antique glass bottles-Their History and Evolution (1500-1850):Willy Van den Bosche".
plate 182 (1), pag.230.
pilio5.jpg

...yes that's right, know the image and those bottles, but they aren't quite the same thing as yours though admitedly somewhat simillar, the ones you've shown in Willy's book have a white enamel lip (check the image carefully) and have normal case bottle necks etc. Yours are different in as much as the lip/neck which is a definite outward taper (or inverted funnel)aspect. This is the particular variation that put these apart.

Let me know if you get it. good luck.

egc
Cool.gif

www.earlyglass.com

Early Glass, it's unique, it's historic, it's an investment in craftmanship...

amblypygi

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: botil

The bottle is from an old and well known house in the island.
The house has more than one thousand years of history.
One year ago died the grand mather and one of her four sons is now selling everything
before selling the building.
The bottle was in a basement of the house and I'm absolutely sure it is not a repro.
It is in mint condition. It has some slight wear on the base.

The question is... how much could I pay for it?
Unsure.gif

This is a great example of the importance of provenance. My first impression was the same as Lobey's, too clean and probably modern. If I saw it on ebay I wouldn't buy it for $9.99. If I came across it in the situation you describe above though, I'd be more interested, but still cautious (as has been said, Grandma may have taken a trip to Prague...).

It's a tough call, but given what's been said I wouldn't pay too much because no matter what the actual age is, a bottle like that is extremely easy to fake, and those doubts will always be there when it hits the market again. I think this one falls into the old rule: pay what it's worth to you, but don't bank on it being an investment.

Sean

botil

Reaction score
I agree with you. Bottles are not a bussines for me.
If I finally by this bottle it will be displayed in an special place of my home.
I collect bottles because I like them, but also like the history every bottle has.
With common bottles it's easy because we seen them every now and then in the marked or even listed in bottle price guides.
In that case I was 100 % the bottle was not a fake, but needed mates opinions about price.
Like the rule:
I think this one falls into the old rule: pay what it's worth to you, but don't bank on it being an investment.
Juan Carlos

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdtivey