huge shill bidder on ebay

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

justanolddigger

Reaction score
I recently was outbid on two flask on ebay, when I checked the bid history, I found I would have made a couple of nice buys if it hadn't been for an obvious shill bidder. The seller is meantiques1, here is a list of his items http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewListedItems&userid=meantiques1&sort=3&page=3&rows=200&since=30&rdir=0

You can click on just about any item and find that m***1 has bid on it even if he did not win

The shill bidder is listed as m***1, he has bid 100% on this sellers items, all kinds of things, not just bottles. The actual name is Hiram1840, he is from Belfast ME, the seller is from Gray ME. here is a list of auctions won in the last thirty days from Hiram1840
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidItems&userid=hiram1840&sort=10&page=1&rows=200&completed=1&all=1
Note that he only bids on this sellers stuff. I have reported it to ebay, it will be interesting to see if they do anything about it. I really don't mind having my bid run up, I only bid on what I am willing to pay, but it really bums me out when I would have made a decent buy, but lost out to this fraudulent practice. Needless to say, I will not bid on this sellers auctions again
Bill

justanolddigger

Reaction score
I just checked hiram1840's feedback as a buyer, what a joke. In the last year and a half, he has made 186 purchases, all but two of them from meantiques1.
http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&ftab=FeedbackAsBuyer&userid=hiram1840&iid=-1&de=off&interval=0&items=200

This has to one of the most blatant shill bidders I have ever seen

Bill

xxfollyxx

Reaction score
EBay has been making it very hard to male any money but I haven't resorted to this. He's basically robbing people. Report him immediately. Are any of the items he "won" relisted by the seller at a later date.

epackage

Reaction score
Very odd but I have to wonder if what you're saying is true. It has to cost "Meantiques" a ton in selling and listing fees for this to be shill bidding, as asked before are the items being relisted that Hiram won ??

I'm just not sure on this one and I don't see the benefit since it's 186 times that Hiram is the actual winner, something is truely odd thopugh since they have each bought from one another numerous times yet Meantiques hasn't left many positive feedbacks for Hiram.....scratching my head[:-]

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
Suspicious but not conclusive. My wife sold over 50 items to one buyer within a few weeks once. Its much harder for buyers to determine shill bidding the way fleabay operates now.
Fleabay allows you to block bidders as a seller but they dont allow you to block/flag sellers as a bidder. A much needed feature in my opinion.

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
I have wondered a few times whether there is a lot of money laundering going on with fleabay.
It seems a great place for it.

epackage

Reaction score
Looking at Hirams winning bids he/she never retracted a bid, I'm just not too sure it's what it appears unless the stuff sold is being relisted by Meantiques....[8|]

andy volkerts

Reaction score
With over 10 million hits a day, ya are gonna get all kindsa combinations re buyers and sellers. What ya have to do is like trace down the resale of these items that ya think are shill bid on, and thats not easy to do......
ORIGINAL: AntiqueMeds

Suspicious but not conclusive. My wife sold over 50 items to one buyer within a few weeks once. Its much harder for buyers to determine shill bidding the way fleabay operates now.
Fleabay allows you to block bidders as a seller but they dont allow you to block/flag sellers as a bidder. A much needed feature in my opinion.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TDF.1973