huge shill bidder on ebay

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
Since the goal of a shill bidder is to drive up price but NOT win the item he would be a very poor shill bidder it seems.

justanolddigger

Reaction score
Since the goal of a shill bidder is to drive up price but NOT win the item he would be a very poor shill bidder it seems.

The second goal of shill bidding is to protect the price, like a reserve, I am pretty sure that is going on here. Look at the bid history of any item between these two, this bidder has 141 bids, 100% the same seller. The items are crossing many different categories, not a bottle collector, or quilts, or other antiques, why else would he be bidding on all these different items. Note they are fairly close in Maine, I'd bet my last dollar they know each other. We'll see what ebay does

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: justanolddigger

The second goal of shill bidding is to protect the price, like a reserve, I am pretty sure that is going on here. Look at the bid history of any item between these two, this bidder has 141 bids, 100% the same seller. The items are crossing many different categories, not a bottle collector, or quilts, or other antiques, why else would he be bidding on all these different items. Note they are fairly close in Maine, I'd bet my last dollar they know each other. We'll see what ebay does
but Hiram keeps winning, how do you account for that ??? I just don't see the logic in your point here Bill, sorry...E-bay keeps charging listing and selling fees and Meantiques keeps selling without ever relisting the same sold items, I just don't see it...Jim

epackage

Reaction score
I sent Meantiques this question....

Dear meantiques1,

Hi Meantiques, I have a question regarding your recent selling. It seems the same buyer Hiram1840 bids on just about every item you sell and on an online antiques forum the question regarding this and how close to each other you both live has led to talk about shill bidding. I personally don't see it myself but I had to ask because it does seem a bit strange considering Hiram is buying all kinds of stuff from you.
I hope to hear back from you and thanx,
Jim

- epackage02

Here is the response...

Dear epackage02,

She is a coastal maine dealer and trusts my descriptions. She sells at a couple group shops and, because she also runs an Inn and can't get out as much as she would like so she needs a reliable source of merchandise. It is also convenient for her because I can deliver her pieces when I pass by. jim

- meantiques1

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Well now, that'll teach y'all to snoop around... [:D]

xxfollyxx

Reaction score
I suppose that's a good way to get answers
Epackage 1
Speculators 0

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
That was basically the same story as the guy that bought from my wife. Found a dealer he liked and stuck with them.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
When I first started using ebay, I chose to do more business with sellers I already bought from and was happy with.. I could easily see this being taken to an extreme by someone, as seems to be in this case..

rockbot

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: AntiqueMeds

I have wondered a few times whether there is a lot of money laundering going on with fleabay.
It seems a great place for it.

I still find this idea quite interesting. Really makes one wonder![;)]

andy volkerts

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: epackage

I sent Meantiques this question....

Dear meantiques1,

Hi Meantiques, I have a question regarding your recent selling. It seems the same buyer Hiram1840 bids on just about every item you sell and on an online antiques forum the question regarding this and how close to each other you both live has led to talk about shill bidding. I personally don't see it myself but I had to ask because it does seem a bit strange considering Hiram is buying all kinds of stuff from you.
I hope to hear back from you and thanx,
Jim

- epackage02

Here is the response...

Dear epackage02,

She is a coastal maine dealer and trusts my descriptions. She sells at a couple group shops and, because she also runs an Inn and can't get out as much as she would like so she needs a reliable source of merchandise. It is also convenient for her because I can deliver her pieces when I pass by. jim

- meantiques1
[;)] Well There ya go!!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TDF.1973