HUTCHINSON SODA BOTTLE ID HELP

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I stopped at a yard sale today and purchased this Hutchison soda bottle. It is embossed on the front in a circle ...

J P GLASER

BELLAIRE O

I didn't forget the "H" in Ohio. That's exactly the way it is embossed. There is no tell-tale evidence of a "H" whatsoever. But I know it's from Bellaire, Ohio. But otherwise that's all I do know about it and could use some help with identifying it further, and possibly dating and valuing it. It is the most beautiful amethyst purple you ever saw. On the opposite side it is embossed ...

THIS BOTTLE NOT TO BE SOLD

I found this regarding Bellaire, Ohio ...

Bellaire gained the title of "Glass City" for the period of 1870 to 1885. The area was blessed by great transportation, an energy source, and a skilled workforce. The transportation infrastructure included the Ohio River, the National Road, and railroads including the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad and the Central Ohio Railroad. Coal was the local energy source, as Belmont County was part of the eastern Ohio coal region. Coal had been mined in Bellaire and floated down the Ohio River since the 1850s. Glassmaking had already begun across the river in Wheeling, West Virginia by the 1820s. Some of the glass making facilities of the time were Belmont Glass Works, Bellaire Window Glass Company, Star Glass Works, National Glass Manufacturing Company, Bellaire Goblet Works, Union Window Glass Company, and Enterprise Window Glass Company. In the next decade, the list also included the Bellaire Bottle Company, the Century Glass Company, and the Imperial Glass Company.

Thanks in advance for you help and interest.

SODAPOPBOB

71CB79E9D54F4A388EAF6CDA862E7939.jpg

Attachments

• 71CB79E9D54F4A388EAF6CDA862E7939.jpg
    71CB79E9D54F4A388EAF6CDA862E7939.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 99

sdmike

Reaction score
Hi Bob. Nice find. Looks like it my be light purple? I guess the Hutchinson stopper came into use around 1880 and the fact that it has a round slug plate, I would diffenitly put it in the 1880 to 85 range. I see the round slug plate in my older San Diego bottles just not hutches, which range from the 1880's to turn of the century......Mike

Brains

Reaction score
Bellaire ohio, home of the bellaire toll bridge.... wich isn't related to bottles AT ALL
NOPE!
..But i stongly suggest you visit it before they demolish it. I myself haven't gotten the chance to see it up close but it's quite the structure if you're into bridges...

For the age, uhhhh i'd guess (and by guess i mean i'm winging it) that that other dude (mike) is right.
and for the value, i'll value it at $10 as that'show much i'll pay for it. Or, maybe i'd pay more for it if i actually had any money, but i-do-not :D

ok, seriously... nice bottle, i like it. Bellaire's an interesting city to me though i've never been there.
and i like the color purple, so i like your bottle.

the "O" for ohio apprears on some Newlexington high-voltage insulators as well, "new lexington, O" and i do believe i have seen it on a few other bottles. Not uncommon i dont think, but quite interesting... and *maybe* actually uncommon.

rockbot

Reaction score
Is the top applied or tooled? The early hutches usually have an applied top, early to mid 1880's.

Your's looks tooled so late 1880's to 1915.

Rocky

bottleopop

Reaction score
I did a pivot table on my bottle list and for my 26 deco ohio bottles, 12 have the abbreviation "O" for Ohio, and 14 say "Ohio". None say "OH".

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
That's got a nice natural SCA tint.

Cool bridge too, what a shame. All that metal will probably get sent over seas to be made into something we'll end up buying back as something else later.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
sdmike ~ Thanks. It's too bad it isn't a San Diego bottle. I wish it were.

Brains ~ Thanks. I guess I did alright for $2.00. I do enjoy old bridges, especially because back in the day people liked to toss bottles from cars while driving over them.

rockbot ~ It has a tooled finish with heavy seams that terminate at the base of the top.

bottleopop ~ That's interesting about the "O" Maybe back then that was the norm for abbreviating.

Cowseatmaize ~ I have always understood it was the use of manganese (a hardening alloy) that caused glass to turn sun colored amethyst. And that they discontinued it around 1915. But why they stopped using it I don't known.

Thanks to everyone. I'm not really a Hutch collector, but I have always been intrigued by their unusual shape and early day history. Whenever I think of Hutchinson soda bottles I am reminded of the one in the movie "Shane" where Alan Ladd gets into a bar room fight over the hutchinson soda pop he bought for that kid Joey. I believe it was strawberry flavored.

By the way ... Who was J P Glaser? Anybody know?

SPBOB

Brains

Reaction score
i believe they stopped using magnesium because of the war and our magnesium came from germany. After that some companies used selenium to turn glass clear- clear glass with selenium in it turns a nice orange/straw color if you leave it out in the sun

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Brains ~

Interesting. Maybe that explains what happened to my hair. I used to spend a lot of time out in the sun and my hair has gone from a straw color to grey. Lol [:D]

SPBOB

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dvergatal