I have a sudden interest.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

reach44

Reaction score
I've never collected jars before, just bottles. I was wondering what would be some good "starter" jars to look out for? Thanks.

MNJars

Reaction score
It depends on your interests. What do you like about them? Color, closures, rarity, a certain word in the embossing?

Dumpdiver

Reaction score
My favorite, I just like the glass... DD

43A3C7E7CC7947A4A7054A70FDE340F2.jpg

Attachments

• 43A3C7E7CC7947A4A7054A70FDE340F2.jpg
    43A3C7E7CC7947A4A7054A70FDE340F2.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 95

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well there are a lot of them and they have been made for many years. I couldn't tell from your picture who made that jar. It sorta looks like a Ba on the left, so maybe it is a Ball Jar.
The neck looks weird though so an angular picture of that might help. Also an angular picture of yhe bottom might help. You didn't give us much to tell what you have.

I have a few jars and like the wax seal jars the best - especially the applied grooved ring jars. Next are the jars with clamped on glass lids, then the zinc rings with embedded porcelain and milk glass inserts. The CLYDE glass jars. Then the Ball Glass jars because they did a lot of trial making tricks that have made a lot of anomalies. I am stunned by some of the new jars of today, because there is no transfer bead under the finish thread, so I don't know yet how the parison was held in the final mold when the blow head blew the jar out to the mold walls. My theory says the thread had to hold the parison, while the blowhead did the blow, but that wouldn't give the tight square top edge on the shoulder that the new FRENCHE'S jar has. That is a bottle mystery I am workiong on now. RED Matthews

botlguy

Reaction score
I believe a good place to "start" is the ground top MASON'S PATENT NOV. 30TH 1858 jars. Lots of embossing variation, relatively inexpensive, lots of rare variants, lots of color variation (pricey though), different sizes. etc. You won't get a lot of different looks and the closures all look the same but you can't "start" everywhere. When we collected jars seriously the closures were the main interest but they got expensive quick. Another good starting group could be "Wax Sealers", both channel and cork type. Much the same benefits as the 1858s.

Good Luck, let us know how you are progressing.

idigjars

Reaction score
I agree with all of the above. Study the redbook, it's awesome. Go to bottle shows, pick them up and talk to people about them. Only buy what you like. My only other advice is it is better to have one $100 jar than a hundred $1 jars. Good luck with your collection and best regards to all. Paul

jimsears

Reaction score
This seems like an excellent time to start collecting jars. A few great jars are bringing record prices, but most good jars are getting very little attention right now. In the last year I have seen several nice amber Globe jars (particularly the pints) sell at prices that would have been considered unbelievable bargains a few years ago. Midget pint 1858s with nice caps are occasionally available at prices that would have seemed fair 20 years ago. At the same time I am seeing some closures alone bringing more than jars with the same closures. I would urge any new collector to avoid "bargains" on jars that have missing, reproduction, or damaged closures. If you buy the amber Globe with chipped lid or the midget pint with ratty zinc cap, you may end up spending a lot more later to upgrade the closure. Advanced collectors may choose to accept incomplete or damaged jars to fill the spaces in their collections, but beginners have enough choices available that they can be very picky.

When I started collecting, I was amazed at how willing advanced collectors were to invite me over and show me their collections. I strongly recommend that you get to know some other jar collectors and visit their collections before trying to get very far with your own.

Jim Sears

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter