I know it's not old, but what is it?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

shoveler

Reaction score
Circle I is Owens-Illinois Glass Company, located in Perrysburg, Ohio. Approximately 25 glass manufacturing locations in the US and Canada. Finding a bottle from Owens-Illinois is not uncommon, more so than Kerr Glass Manufacturing Corporation, who only operated 7 glass plants by 1975 (I think mostly East coast). So it's probably not surprising that you would get a bottle from Owens-Illinois (Ohio based) and I would get a bottle from Kerr Glass Manufacturing Corporation (East coast based). Whatever beer brand we're searching for, they were large enough to purchase bottles from 2 different glass companies, and were probably well distributed across the US. I hope it's not some Budweiser collectors edition or something boring like that! :) But my bet would be that it is a US based company.

AMChandler

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: shoveler
I hope it's not some Budweiser collectors edition or something boring like that! :)

True! And with me being in the STL area, I find a lot of A-B products!

shoveler

Reaction score
Wanted to show you a picture from a German wheat beer (Erdinger) that features a drawing of a wheat grain head in the circled logo at the top. The same image that's between the C and the B in the crest of our bottle. Doesn't necessarily mean ours is a wheat beer. The difference between a wheat grain head and that of barley is insignificant; especially in a small caricature for a beer bottle. But it does suggest some effort to have a European flair.

90138445722D47B6B5CAB94EABC24758.jpg

Attachments

• 90138445722D47B6B5CAB94EABC24758.jpg
    90138445722D47B6B5CAB94EABC24758.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 66

surfaceone

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: shoveler

Post Note: The proper name for the 2 standing lions facing each other in the bottle logo is "combatant lions". And the Bavarians don't hold the patent on this image. So I have to be careful in assuming the logo on the bottle suggests Bavarian roots, in one way or another. Cheers.

Cheers shoveler,

I think you'll find that the proper name for that lion attitude is "Rampant."

200px-Lion_Rampant.svg.png
From.

In my opinion, you're shoveling a lot of speculation to the discussion that is not supported. I don't see Erdinger, or other different modern brewery crests as being germane. Maybe the right church, wrong pew, but certainly not John Torrio's. [8D]

200px-Coat_of_arms_of_Bavaria.svg.png
Bavarian Coat of Arms.

260px-Bavarian_coat_of_arms.JPG
Regardant.

I think sometimes it depends on who is picturing the crest, and what heraldic messages they are projecting.

The same image that's between the C and the B in the crest of our bottle. Doesn't necessarily mean ours is a wheat beer. The difference between a wheat grain head and that of barley is insignificant; especially in a small caricature for a beer bottle.

I cannot tell from Annette's photo, what tiny image, or symbol resides within the shield, nor where the "C" or "B" that you speak of might be. Perhaps better photos might tell us more.

I can assure you that wheat, barley, and hops all have separate and divergent meanings in heraldry, and in brewing.

cecoatofarms.jpg
From.
251px-Essunga_vapen.svg.png
From.
tunbridge_wells.JPG
From.

Bavaria is not far from Bulgaria, right? [8D]

308px-Bulgarian_national_bank_coa.png
Bulgarian National Bank.

A spot of heraldic humor:

Heraldic%2BHumor.jpg
From.

shoveler

Reaction score
There's always a party crasher! [:D] But seriously, all the speculation was merely brainstorming. [8|] An effort to get a discussion going that, in my experience, can sometimes lead to the correct answer. But point well taken, and thanks for chipping in.

Rampant lions indeed, but when 2 rampant lions are facing each other, referring to them as "combatant" specifies their posture relative to one another (see attachment). Not individually, so you are correct on that issue. So I think we're on the same page. But thanks again for clarifying that issue.

As for the grain head and CB lettering, trust me, I have magnification tools that allow me to see things up close and personal. There is no doubt the crest has the head of some small grain (wheat, barley, hops, take your pick) in the middle of the letters C and B. I'll work on getting a close-up picture on a follow-up response.

Thanks for your contributions to the discussion.

BE6581F3B9744BCB9A1E3D6141695477.jpg

Attachments

• BE6581F3B9744BCB9A1E3D6141695477.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 65

surfaceone

Reaction score
Rampant lions indeed, but when 2 rampant lions are facing each other, referring to them as "combatant" specifies their posture relative to one another (see attachment). Not individually, so you are correct on that issue. So I think we're on the same page. But thanks again for clarifying that issue.

shoveler,

We are learning a bit about heraldry, for whatever that is worth. [8D]

Heraldry is some confusing stuff. I'll agree that the lions combatant that you have pictured are indeed "combatant," but they are not depicted as such on Annette's coat of arms, nor, I'm assuming, on your un-pictured example.

On Annette's coat of arms, the lions rampant are supporters of the escutcheon or shield that contains whatever unmagnified symbol. It's kinda difficult to be "combatant" while holding that heavy shield, don'tcha think?

Late 20th Century "heraldry" on beer bottles and cans seems to have stylistically degenerated to the realm of stock images, i.e. flatfooted lions, nondescript crowns, and initialed escutcheons.

Are you seeing the "C" and "B" on the banner? I cannot tell if they are letters or components of the banner, no matter how large I make Annette's photo.

heraldicguin1.jpg

AMChandler

Reaction score
http://www.flickr.com/photos/52705130@N02/7907440652

Hopefully better picture of the seal. Thanks for looking and thanks for the discussion.
Sorry cant get picture as part of the post. I even tried to macro it with my real camera, it doesn't photograph well.

surfaceone

Reaction score
7907440652_c7ede1a856_b.jpg

Hey Annette,

Thanks for the additional photo. I can see that "C-B" now.

Don't thinks it's a Coors, nor a Carling, either. Hopefully someone will recognize it now.

SurfPostLg5.jpg

hemihampton

Reaction score
Here you go, I got your Mystery solved. LEON.

319884B9A5EE4AA78623A8FE25EF8430.jpg

Attachments

• 319884B9A5EE4AA78623A8FE25EF8430.jpg
    319884B9A5EE4AA78623A8FE25EF8430.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 89

epackage

Reaction score
Thanks Leon, I didn't take the time to check Carling, DOPEY ME!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
krähemijers