Identification Please

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

denmar

Reaction score
Hi,

Definitely not a lid because the plain side would be on top. I think the resevoir is too small for an oil lamp base will now get dimensions and post them. It is hollow though but don't think the top is anywhere near 3" will check though.

denmar

Reaction score
Here are the measurements

15 cms wide, top opening 3cms, height approx 3 cms

The top opening is very smooth and is rather uneven, doesn't look like it's ever had anything fixed on to it other than maybe a stopper which unfortunately I don't have, what I really want to know is if it worth keeping?

cyberdigger

Reaction score
So it's 6 in wide, top opening 1 1/4 in, height approx 1 1/4 in..

Bigger than I thought... hmmm...

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I should have looked at the paper. If that standard 8.5x11 it fits.
Well, it's not at all what I was forgetting.
No clue, sorry.

botlguy

Reaction score
This might be a REALLY wild guess but I believe it is a Candle Holder. A candle fits into the small opening and with the candle in place the wax would not go into the opening, assuming that opening is open to the inside. It seems pretty obviously blown as opposed to pressed. After the baloon was blown it was, while still quite pliabe, pressed down to form the shape. The lack of seams would indicate it was "freeblown".

I am not very familiar with such glassware but it took a VERY artistic craftsman to make such an object. It resembles Tiffany although it probably was not made by them, but could have been. At any rate, it appears to be a QUALITY item. Do some more research.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
All good guesses, but it could also just be a work of art.. it must have some value, I wouldn't throw it away..

denmar

Reaction score
Can't see it was for candles unless they were birthday cake candles which I'm not sure were around when this thing was made, [do you think it pre dates 1900 then?

botlguy

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: denmar

Can't see it was for candles unless they were birthday cake candles which I'm not sure were around when this thing was made, [do you think it pre dates 1900 then?

I think it ABSOLUTELY predates 1900. I don't KNOW so but it sure looks like it to me. Stick a candle in the opening and see how it looks. I really believe that is what it is.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
A 1¼" hole wouldn't fit a standard or a pre 1900 regular candle. There's more to this.
If the hole wasn't pulled outward or there was a drain I'd think a pocket spittoon.
I'm fascinated.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
I don't think it's a candle stick.. it would be tough to clean..

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen