Identification Please

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cyberdigger

Reaction score
800px-Sea_anemone_in_tidepools.jpg

It is better to recognize anemone than to encounter...

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Ahhh, baloney.. [;)]

9EB9EBAB9DAF4E318F17F7126630A5AC.jpg

Attachments

• 9EB9EBAB9DAF4E318F17F7126630A5AC.jpg
    9EB9EBAB9DAF4E318F17F7126630A5AC.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 52

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
I think I saw something with a similar pattern in an old episode of Antique's Road Show. I don't know if these are accessible, but as I recall, the item in the show was quite valuable. I would definitely hang on to that for now. It might be good.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I agree, it's a great piece of glass. The fact that we haven't so far ID'd it says hang on to it until you can.
I hope you'll you keep us posted Denyse.

denmar

Reaction score
Well thanks to all for the very interesting and entertaining banter, firstly there are (as far as I can see) no makers marks on it, secondly you would need a perfect 'aim' for it to be a spitoon, and also as it weighs over 875g which is not exactly portable, and at least would need a very large strong pocket to put it in!

As for the candle holder theory, it would only hold a very slender one, (like the ones on a birthday cake) so not sure of that theory, I can only pass a pencil through the opening if that helps.

I think I will leave out the amusing suggestions relating to marine life and reproduction!!

One theory (from the British forum) is that it is modern studio glass???? anybody think this might be the case? It can't have been a vase as only probably one flower (with a slim stem) could be put in it. As for the base of an oil lamp, surely the reservoir is too small? To access the AR archives I would need to know when it was on. My guess as a complete amateur is that the design looks a bit like art nouveaux.

I am therefore still in the dark about this object, I find it odd that it does not have any makers marks on it but I am pleased that it has caused so much discussion here, it may be that it will always remain a mystery but I will keep it because it has evoked so much interest at least. I will also today take some more pictures in daylight, and closer if I can. Problem with this forum is that I can only put one picture on at a time, given that I am still a novice at this is there any way more pictures can be posted at the same time?.

You are a really great bunch of collectors and I have enjoyed your views on the object, I will continue to try and research the piece although I know it is going to be impossible to trace where it came from - but I live in hope, once again many thanks to everyone who tried to help.

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I'm sorry about the banter.
I'm confused about your specifications so I'm lost.
You say it's hollow but weight 875 grams (almost 2 lbs.) and 15cm (about 6") diameter.
The top opening is 3cm (over an inch.) A standard candle holder is less than an inch. You also state "As for the candle holder theory, it would only hold a very slender one, (like the ones on a birthday cake)". That's down to something like 4mm.
I really just can't get a visual in my mind.
It's an interesting piece.

diggerdirect

Reaction score
Yes I was assuming the opening was 1 1/4", isn't likely a portable ashtray then. Still is a very nice piece of whatever!

Al

B4981AAD5B574CC7ABD23D956552C1F9.jpg

Attachments

• B4981AAD5B574CC7ABD23D956552C1F9.jpg
    B4981AAD5B574CC7ABD23D956552C1F9.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 48

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member