IN SEARCH OF / NON-ABM / FANCY-IMAGE / CROWN SODA BOTTLES

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Plumbata

Reaction score
Thanks Mark, even though it isn't very dramatic shape-wise, it still seems like a morphological "baby step" away from standard cylindrical sodas and towards the direction of more distinctively-shaped or ornamented "deco" containers. I've seen a few like this bottle possessing only the "Hires" side, with what would be the "Coca-Cola Bottling Co. Peoria, ILL" side comprised of plain vertical ribbing, though that's about as far as my experience goes. When one considers how the bottles would roll along the line, with the widest part of the shoulder and then the widest part of the base (adjacent bottom) making contact, it seems to show an early consideration for the minimization of case-wear on embossing; as seen later in ABM deco sodas with their more deliberate raised "barrel hoops" or whatever ya call the features that they could roll on, thus minimizing damage to embossing in a more systematic manner.

And I think it actually contained Hires Root Beer, despite the trademarked script Coke embossing. It is a strange and anomalous hybrid, as both brand names are embossed in their own respective trademarked fonts/styles. Not everyday one comes across a SS coke like this. My dad and I went digging at that TOC dump last month and he pulled it out within minutes of hopping into the dump. Heckuva first bottle of the day.

Bass Assassin

Reaction score
It is a fantastic bottle. Congratulations to you and your father on the find. I'm gonna snoop around on the internet and see if it had any brothers or sisters, because I would like to know if there are more out there like it. Thanks again

lblackvelvet

Reaction score
Hello, I just looked on e-bay and found a bottle similar to yours, ( with out the coca-cola) says 1910-1920

lblackvelvet

Reaction score
Sorry, I have yet to figure out how to post e-bay's listings in here. Need to learn how to do that !!!!! Cool bottle !!!!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Bass Assassin

Sorry BOB, didn't intend to hijack your thread

You didn't! No explanations necessary. Here's a little something related to the amber Hires/Coca Cola bottle, or at least one similar to it.

From the Soda Fizz magazine ~ By Kathy ~ 2004

Scroll to ...

FYI: Brown Hires Bottle

http://www.angelfire.com/zine2/thesodafizz/2004sep28.html

Bass Assassin

Reaction score
Thanks BOB. I have pulled this link and read over it and it is similar, but not the same. I think Plumbata may have stumbled upon a pretty good find. With the Hires logo and the Coca Cola in script, it may be a rarity. This might make a great new thread. I tried to copy and paste his description of and photos of his bottle but couldn't do it. The photos wouldn't transfer for me. I would like to see a new thread started with his bottle to see if there's another out there . Plumbata, could you do that for us? Just curious to see what kind of results we get.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bricri2