IN SEARCH OF / NON-ABM / FANCY-IMAGE / CROWN SODA BOTTLES

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: lblackvelvet

Hello Bob, Have you received my e-mails?

Nope!

I'm not sure what the problem is. Please try another PM

Thanks

Bob

66AA9C14C965411A8406442D380302E0.gif

Attachments

• 66AA9C14C965411A8406442D380302E0.gif
    66AA9C14C965411A8406442D380302E0.gif
    41.4 KB · Views: 76

lblackvelvet

Reaction score
I have tried your personal e-mail Address and just sent another PM.? I don't know why you are not getting them. My e-mail is lblackvelvet@yahoo.com Maybe you can send me a e-mail and I can reply to it? Thanks.... Kevin..

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S.

Kevin:

I just thought of something.

If you happen to be using a Mac computer I cannot receive Mac emails. I'm not sure why but I can't!

Bob

epackage

Reaction score
Sent you an email as well Bob, I have Kevin's contact info for you...

celerycola

Reaction score
Any bottle with DECOrative elements is a DECO bottle. If you disagree with the published information regarding DECO sodas please let us know where you disagree and provide us some alternative bottle related sources before we all throw our books into the trash.

If you believe DECO is the same as Art Deco then the 1915 Coke bottle does not fall into the category as it predates the Art Deco era. Continuing your line of reasoning any soda bottle not influenced by Eqyptian design is not DECO.

ORIGINAL: SODAPOPBOB

ORIGINAL: celerycola

Of the three bottles I referenced, two (Bludwine and Gay-Ola) were considered to have sufficient DECOrative elements to receive protection under Federal Patent Laws for their design. If the United States Government declares a bottle to be DECOrative then that is good enough for me.

I think it is fair for everyone to evaluate a bottle for themselves whether it qualifies as DECOrative or not.

Celerycola / Dennis:

I don't mean this to sound like I'm being facetious because I'm not. Nor am I challenging anyone's credentials, their years of experience, or anything of the sort. But it does sound to me as if you're saying that any soda bottle which you describe as DECOaritive is basically a loose form of a Deco Soda Bottle irregardless of when it was patented and/or produced just as long as it is decorated with fancy embossing. It also sounds to me as if you are saying it is in the eye of the beholder to determine what bottles are considered Deco bottles and what aren't. And if this is in fact what you are saying or even insinuating, then I guess I need to go back to square one and re-research the definition of Art Deco and Deco.

As for the word DECOrative / decorative in relation to U.S. bottle patents, the most often used word I am familiar with is "Ornamental," which can refer to fancy embossing as well as a unique shape. I'm not saying the word "decorative" doesn't exist among U.S. bottle patent terminology, but if it does I believe it's far and few between and a term I have not seen used.

The patent text below is for a Gay-Ola-style of bottle which I have highlighted the word "ornamental." Every one of the Paul A. Ginter bottles that I posted links to also use the word ornamental, and I have seen the same word used as far back as 1902.

Link:

https://www.google.com/patents/USD51617?pg=PA1&dq=51,617+bottle&hl=en&sa=X&ei=FZLxUdn0K4XBqwGT3oDoBQ&ved=0CEIQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=51%2C617%20bottle&f=false

I may not understand exactly what you are trying to say or the point you are trying to make, (maybe we're actually saying the same thing and agreeing, I'm not sure) but I do know what I'm trying to say and the point I'm trying to make, which is ...

It is my opinion that pre-abm (circa pre-1910) soda bottles with fancy embossing and/or a unique shape were predecessors of the Deco soda bottle era, but feel deco soda bottles had their true beginning around 1923 and was hugely influenced by the discovery of King Tut's tomb in Egypt in 1922.

Respectfully,

Bob

~ * ~

The term "Ornamental" on U.S. bottle patents goes back at least as early as 1902, but I do not feel that all ornamental soda bottles are Deco soda bottles!

AD8B14B455B140F2A4BD82D907AC6373.jpg

T D

Reaction score
Bob. Read the original title of your thread. This could have been a really good thread with forum members contributing pictures of early crown top NON STRAIGHT SIDED bottles and discussion about these bottles. Instead you overloaded it with off topic information. It as re- morphed into a completely different animal. How about we just simplify it to after straight sided crown top sodas?

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
For those who might be wondering ...

With Jim/epackage assisting as middleman, Iblackvelvet/Kevin and I finally connected on the phone today and made arrangements for me to purchase the pyramid soda bottle. Kevin and I agreed not to disclose the selling price but we are both happy with the transaction. We still haven't figured out what caused the email problem and possibly never will. My thanks goes out to Jim for his invaluable help in making the connection possible.

Bob

9DF989D33D1044A2B8C275DFE369E19D.jpg

Attachments

• 9DF989D33D1044A2B8C275DFE369E19D.jpg
    9DF989D33D1044A2B8C275DFE369E19D.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 77

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member