It's not a bottle book, but ....

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SAbottles

Reaction score
The bottle collecting fraternity here in South Africa is simply not big enough to support a magazine or any such publication. So it's always satisfying and useful to get a bit of publicity in other magazines, especially a rather nice, glossy, up-market one !
The people who did this article had seen some of my bottles for sale in the museum shop in Darling, a little town up the West Coast about 120 miles from Cape Town.

F94B9196BAA64E71B1BDFA3B636AEC89.jpg

Attachments

• F94B9196BAA64E71B1BDFA3B636AEC89.jpg
    F94B9196BAA64E71B1BDFA3B636AEC89.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 51

SAbottles

Reaction score
I felt they did a pretty reasonable job on the text; not too sensational and pretty accurate. The photos came out rather well (& should have considering the amount of time David Morgan took in setting it all up!)
On a commercial note, before I had even seen the article, I had an e-mail from someone wanting to buy "about 150 of those nice aqua bottles" !

SAbottles

Reaction score
I rather liked their title ~ appropriate and just a little bit ' racy & colloquial' !
The heading of this thread and the last paragraph of the article refer to the fact that my wife & I are busy with a bottle book - hopefully to come out end of this year or early next. A book aimed at introducing people to the hobby and information about the bottles they might collect (& hopefully buy from me!)

8A67C05BFDFD43C2B872D97BF1F004C1.jpg

Attachments

• 8A67C05BFDFD43C2B872D97BF1F004C1.jpg
    8A67C05BFDFD43C2B872D97BF1F004C1.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 51

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Nice job Dale, breaking boundaries is what you did. I know what you mean about the "upscale".
I looked through the one here and always thought, WOW, these people really know how to take the country out of life. It's kind of like saying "We're going camping this weekend, driving a 30' motor home to a campground by a lake and do nothing but adjust the satellite dish and turn on the wide screen.
Maybe this will make people think that getting dirty can be fun and educational. Maybe they will even fire their landscapers and grow some veg instead of having a $30K garden-scape.
Nah, I doubt it.
What would it cost to get a copy over here I wonder.[8|]

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
Cool Dale!

Looks interesting. I am sure some of those bottles shown came from the "lane" is that what it is called?
Im with Eric,how can I get a copy? I can't read any of the type on this post.

SAbottles

Reaction score
Hey Cows & Rick; thanks & you're quite right, Rick; the bottles with my mug peering over them all came from the Lane ! I'll find out what it would cost to send a copy over, but for Rick, it might be easier just to send a slightly enlarged copy of the photos via e-mail ?

bostaurus

Reaction score
I used to love getting the British version of that magazine when I lived in the UK. VERY upscale! Always had a debutant type picture of the daughter of Lord and Lady So-and-So or daughter of the Right Honorable Major and Mrs Hyphenated Name, notices for Sotherby's art and antique auctions, etc.
The main reason I bought them was to look at all the pictures of homes for sale...by homes I mean 3 million dollar Georgian town homes in London, castles, manors and 15th century cottages. They even had an entire village for sale once.
Congrats on the article. I would love to read it.
Hope you and the family are doing well!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
.TheNYBittersCollector.