KODAK BOTTLE, NO SEAM, STRANGE

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Reaction score
Nice one this - it was also one of my first Owen Sound druggists.

The business succession for your drug store runs as follows:

Vincent Chantler "Palace Pharmacy" 188?-1892
W H Taylor 1892 - 1913
Jury & Leslie 1913 - 1950s?
Leslie-Dowkes 1950's to 1971
Don Nicol Pharmacy 1971 - 1980s

Don Nicol then amalgamated to form the Big V drug store, now a Shopper's Drug Mart.

I think the address was 932 2nd Ave East - it's beside the Bata Shoe Store (Don Browne shoes?)
If you go the the Owen Sound public library local history archive and search for drug store history you will come across a paper I out together in the late 1970s on OS druggists. It'll have the proper dates and succession.

Some of the drug stores distinguished themselves by locking up exclusive rights to certain product lines. Parker Pharmacy had Elizabeth Arden beauty products, McLeods had Baby Bunny nuts, Leslie Dowkes had Laura Secord candies, as well as Kodak cameras and accessories when they store first opened.

So why does a bottle manufactured after 1913 have no mould seam over the lip?
Simple. Dominion Glass continued hand operations (i.e. blown in a mould, applied lip) for small run orders up until the 1940s. The cost of making and outfitting moulds for an automatic bottle machine was too prohibitive if all you wanted were a few thousand bottles at a time (say 10 gross = 12x12x10 = 1440). So Dominion Glass carried on the old tradition of using a generic mould with an interchageable "slug plate" that bore the individual design for each druggist so that
smaller product runs could be accomodated.
Slug plates were cheaper than making full moulds for each druggist - easier to store as well.

logueb

Reaction score
Nice find Ace. Woody is correct about the seams being in the corners. Most bottles have the mold seam in the center of the sides as was usual for a rectangular bottle. On the rectangular bottles with beveled corners the seams will usually be on the front corner on one side and the rear corner on the opposite side. Sorta like a diagonal line through a rectangle. On pic three and four , you can see that one of the lines that extends up from the beveled corner is a little longer than the other. That should be the mold seam. Fire polishing removes the seam up the neck. I hope this helps. I have seen this on some of the bottles in my collection.

logueb

Reaction score
Julie, down here we say its "cattywhumpus". But we say it more like "cattywhampus". "Yep that bottle's got some cattywhampus mold seams."[:D]

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter