Korean dog tag find

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

yaledigger

Reaction score
i am new to this cool website. i have been lurking for awhile, but, have never posted.
recently i found dog tags in our local dump and i wanted to return them to the rightful owner. after a week of searching on-line, looking through local phone books i tracked my mystery man down.
he lost them shortly after returning from the war and couldn't believe i found them. the great thing was, was that they were in great shape.
i returned them to him the next day and received a cool little history lesson about the area.
now he said he could finally show his dog tags to his grand children !

glass man

Reaction score
WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!!Great story!So cool you took the time to track the man down and he was still alive!

My wife's dad fought in the Korean war and I know she woulda been so happy if some one found and returned her dad's dog tags to her...he died right at this time of year...day after her 6th birthday Dec. 20th 1962..and they buried him on Christmas eve day.[&o]

You gave some one something great..WAY TO GO!!JAMIE

edndlm

Reaction score
Great find & even better ending ! What a great Christmas present to get the dog tags back ! You embodied the real meaning of Christmas ! Cheers

bottlediger

Reaction score
very cool story and awesome that you did that. I found an old Air-force button once while digging behind a buddies house. Did some research one it and it was from the time period he was in the service. Kept it around for a few years and wanted to give it to him as a present. Waited to long and he passed away. ended up giving it to his grand daughter. She was very delighted but I still feel bad I never got to give it to him, he was a heck of a guy

Ryan

russo

Reaction score
great story, that's gotta be good for the old karma

yaledigger

Reaction score
thanks for the nice replies.
it made me feel real good to do that. anybody that has served for our country deserves the best !
i found the dog tags near an old slaughter house foundation. the dump in real close to this area.
every where i look there is debris !!!

dogtx

Reaction score
Do you know how to translate the info on the dogtags?
I found one dog tag its got to from ww2 or Korea.
it says Walthall,Booker J.
33656813 T44
O
P

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Rocky,

Photos might better illustrate your tag.

Is it a notched rectangular oval? The #3 preface on a WWII tag would indicate a draftee. The rest of the number would be the service number.

"T44" would be a Tetanus shot in 1944.

"O" is blood type

"P," I believe, would indicate Protestant.

Is there no next of kin information?

wade_loc_reuter1_500.jpg

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angieb1229