Late 1800’s small square bottle help

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Shellbay

Reaction score
Found this little cutie buried in the sand in the water during low tide last weekend.

The seam stops at the neck. The top ridge part of the lip is not uniform- one part is thicker.

I’ve found a lot (hundreds) of bottles here in GTMO, but none quite like this one.

Any idea what it was used for and possibly the age?

Thank you for a taking a look!
IMG_2895.jpeg
IMG_2891.jpeg
IMG_2890.jpeg
IMG_2889.jpeg
IMG_2888.jpeg
IMG_2892.jpeg

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Huh, I've never seen one quite like that before. It looks like the upper half of a standard pharmacy bottle, but that's the first I've seen of one with such a squat shape. My best guess for what it contained is fluid beef, that was often sold in squat amber bottles around that size, but no way to be sure without embossing or label.

Shellbay

Reaction score
Huh, I've never seen one quite like that before. It looks like the upper half of a standard pharmacy bottle, but that's the first I've seen of one with such a squat shape. My best guess for what it contained is fluid beef, that was often sold in squat amber bottles around that size, but no way to be sure without embossing or label.
I found a fluid beef here, attached is the pic. If only the bottles could talk! . Thank you for taking the time to respond.
IMG_2915.jpeg

Shellbay

Reaction score
It's not really proportioned right for an ink.

Jim G
I grabbed a few ink bottles I’ve found here to compare. The big blue one has a spout, but the opening looks to be about the same size. The blue ink bottle’s seam goes all the way to the top.
IMG_2916.jpeg
IMG_2917.jpeg

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I grabbed a few ink bottles I’ve found here to compare. The big blue one has a spout, but the opening looks to be about the same size. The blue ink bottle’s seam goes all the way to the top. View attachment 247699View attachment 247700
The big blue one is a master ink, which means that no one would be dipping a pen into it like they would with the small ones. That's why they have such wide mouths. Yours looks much too small for a master ink and it would be very awkward to dip a pen into. It does bear some resemblance to some paint bottles I've seen, but amber would be a strange colour for a paint bottle since you wouldn't be able to see what the paint looked like. Though I suppose it could have been some sort of paint (or other artist's supply) which was light-sensitive.

Shellbay

Reaction score
The big blue one is a master ink, which means that no one would be dipping a pen into it like they would with the small ones. That's why they have such wide mouths. Yours looks much too small for a master ink and it would be very awkward to dip a pen into. It does bear some resemblance to some paint bottles I've seen, but amber would be a strange colour for a paint bottle since you wouldn't be able to see what the paint looked like. Though I suppose it could have been some sort of paint (or other artist's supply) which was light-sensitive.
Thanks for the info! I love trying to unlock some of the mysteries of the bottles I find!

UnderMiner

Reaction score
Well it being amber gives us a clue, whatever it once held was likely considered reactive to light by the manufacture. So they made it amber to protect whatever was in there from deterioration. Medicine, an extract, a chemical of some sort. Usually the most likely answer is the correct one, so probably a medicine bottle. And maybe the medicine for whatever was the most common illnesses of that time and place - Malaria, Dysentery, Yellow Fever... Sun Burn, maybe its a sunscreen (Zinc Oxide) bottle :)

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaygause