Late 1800’s small square bottle help

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Shellbay

Reaction score
Well it being amber gives us a clue, whatever it once held was likely considered reactive to light by the manufacture. So they made it amber to protect whatever was in there from deterioration. Medicine, an extract, a chemical of some sort. Usually the most likely answer is the correct one, so probably a medicine bottle. And maybe the medicine for whatever was the most common illnesses of that time and place - Malaria, Dysentery, Yellow Fever... Sun Burn, maybe its a sunscreen (Zinc Oxide) bottle :)
Thank you! I appreciate your thoughts. Any idea of the age?

saratogadriver

Reaction score
The big blue one is a master ink, which means that no one would be dipping a pen into it like they would with the small ones. That's why they have such wide mouths. Yours looks much too small for a master ink and it would be very awkward to dip a pen into. It does bear some resemblance to some paint bottles I've seen, but amber would be a strange colour for a paint bottle since you wouldn't be able to see what the paint looked like. Though I suppose it could have been some sort of paint (or other artist's supply) which was light-sensitive.
That was my thinking. it's just a little too big for a table top ink and certainly too small for a master.

Jim G

historic-antiques

Reaction score
Found this little cutie buried in the sand in the water during low tide last weekend.

The seam stops at the neck. The top ridge part of the lip is not uniform- one part is thicker.

I’ve found a lot (hundreds) of bottles here in GTMO, but none quite like this one.

Any idea what it was used for and possibly the age?

Thank you for a taking a look!
View attachment 247688View attachment 247689View attachment 247690View attachment 247691View attachment 247692View attachment 247693
This reminds me of the old pre-1900
the blue ink looks similar to one of these.
the blue ink looks similar to one of these. Leon.View attachment 247709View attachment 247710
Quite surprisingly, this is probably an old Stafford Mucilage bottle - not an ink bottle. I have a larger version with the original paper label, indicating that, at least mine, did not hold ink. It's possible that it's originally an ink bottle but was re-assigned to hold mucilage. Mine dates to around 1890.

historic-antiques

Reaction score
Found this little cutie buried in the sand in the water during low tide last weekend.

The seam stops at the neck. The top ridge part of the lip is not uniform- one part is thicker.

I’ve found a lot (hundreds) of bottles here in GTMO, but none quite like this one.

Any idea what it was used for and possibly the age?

Thank you for a taking a look!
View attachment 247688View attachment 247689View attachment 247690View attachment 247691View attachment 247692View attachment 247693
Reminds me of the old Maltine Co. drug bottle, but half the size and without any embossing. You found some really nice bottles!!! The blue Stafford's bottle is quite uncommon!

historic-antiques

Reaction score
I think your blue "ink" could actually be an old mucilage (glue) bottle - see below. I found this one in the basement of a beautiful old 1880s house in Chicago, way back in 1972 or so, when the owners were having a house sale. It's bigger than yours, I believe. I was told bottles were sometimes re-used for different things. Could have held ink before or after, but when somebody forgot mine in the basement 140+ years ago, it had glue.

You've got some really nice bottles!!! Nice digging!!!

Attachments

• Stafford P1020398.JPG
    Stafford P1020398.JPG
    175.9 KB · Views: 51
  • Stafford P1020399.JPG
    Stafford P1020399.JPG
    160.5 KB · Views: 47
  • Stafford P1020400.JPG
    Stafford P1020400.JPG
    162.8 KB · Views: 48

Shellbay

Reaction score
I think your blue "ink" could actually be an old mucilage (glue) bottle - see below. I found this one in the basement of a beautiful old 1880s house in Chicago, way back in 1972 or so, when the owners were having a house sale. It's bigger than yours, I believe. I was told bottles were sometimes re-used for different things. Could have held ink before or after, but when somebody forgot mine in the basement 140+ years ago, it had glue.

You've got some really nice bottles!!! Nice digging!!!
Thanks for sharing! It’s one of my favorite bottles. :)

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaygause