Leaning Pontil?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Something tells me someone's gonna come along and talk about "press and blow" ..

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well all of you came to the question, Where is RED, when you need me?/
I am here now but I am not sure what your hinting at. First the pictures are not clear enough to tell us much. The first one looks like an early bottle for some food delivery, But no one indicated or showed us if there are two mold seams, or if there are - do they go all the way up to the finish or do they continue into it? If the seams stop as they get ti the neck - then the finish might be tooled. In the first picture, there is a circle showing, but we don't know if that was taken down the neck. It looks off center, so it is not a valve mark, from an ABM that had a valve in the baffle cavity. It looks to clear to be on the inside - ? Is it? It couldn't be that clear and be a pontil mark if it was taken through the neck.
I don't think the bottle was made in the press and blow process time frame. It wouldn't be a bottle for that process.
Thanks for the vote of confidence botlguy!! But we need a little clearer description of the lines and markings to really nail it down.
RED Matthews

TMO

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the responses! First I am sorry about the pics. The first pic is the bottom and shows an of center circular mark that I wondered if it was a pontil. It is of the bottom. The second shows the bottle leaning to the left but I fixed that so it now leans to the right ;) If we divide the bottle into four parts the mouth appears to have been put on separately as it is slighty off center from the throat it has very faint seam lines that carry through it. The neck also has very faint seam(i think) lines but they don't line up with the mouth. The body has no seam lines and neither does the base. The base has a near perfect circle indented off center in the base(that is what i wondered if it was a pontil)

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Ok Tim, The off center circle is the pontil mark from the previous bottle severed blowpipe. 'The fact that it is an off center pontil tells us that is what caused the bottle to be a leaner, due to the pushing over of applying the ribbon of glass for the finish before the tooling. Since there are no seam lines on the main part of the bottle this tells us that the straight cylinder if the bottle was formed by the bottle blower on his marver plate, by rolling his puffed glass on the plate.
So you have a nice old hand blown bottle, for your collection. I am sure it has some value of no doubt $ 40 - if that is important to you. Bottles like this that tell you how they were made by skilled bottle makers, are what bottle collecting is all about - to me, anyway. I have collected them for 76 years now, and I still fondle and admire them, frequently. RED Matthews

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the responses! First I am sorry about the pics. The first pic is the bottom and shows an of center circular mark that I wondered if it was a pontil. It is of the bottom. The second shows the bottle leaning to the left but I fixed that so it now leans to the right ;) If we divide the bottle into four parts the mouth appears to have been put on separately as it is slighty off center from the throat it has very faint seam lines that carry through it. The neck also has very faint seam(i think) lines but they don't line up with the mouth. The body has no seam lines and neither does the base. The base has a near perfect circle indented off center in the base(that is what i wondered if it was a pontil)
Red, I think you missed post 15 which I quoted here. There are enough seams mentioned that it is a suction (what I still call a blow back) scar of the earlier Owens machines. I think if the pictures were better or I could have it in my hands the main body will have seams. Sometimes they are 90° off and faint but they will be there.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
These were food bottles for olives , capers, or other small items.
Machine made, typically between 1920s-1930s.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mikis1981