Liqueur(?) bottle with broken lid

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Honkbonkington

Reaction score
Found this in goodwill, looks like it holds about a liter. The front is marked "Kümmel" in paint pen, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't what was originally in the bottle and was just what the previous owner kept in it.

IMG_20200418_132207.jpg

IMG_20200418_132128.jpg

Looks like there was some kind of figure on the lid, from what I can tell it looks like the feet of a bird. I'm most interested in finding out what was on the lid, and procuring one with the figure intact.

IMG_20200418_132105.jpg

Seam to the lip of the bottle

IMG_20200418_132045.jpg

Bottom is marked "Federal law prohibits sale or reuse of this bottle" closer to the the edges. This should place it between 1935-1964 based on what I've read. "D90 12 A 60" in the center, don't know what any of that means, as well as a "3" or "5", which I can't make out or get a good photo of, the the far right of the center text.

IMG_20200418_131940.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated.. I don't know much about bottles outside of what I've learned while doing some research on this thing. My plan for it was to make it into a closed-system terrarium, but that narrow neck is going to be a pain. Thanks for your time.

J.R. Collector

Nomad Bottle Collector
Reaction score
Probably to new to be able to identify. Most on here are better with antique bottles.

Timberwolf70

Reaction score
Found this in goodwill, looks like it holds about a liter. The front is marked "Kümmel" in paint pen, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't what was originally in the bottle and was just what the previous owner kept in it.

View attachment 205714

View attachment 205715

Looks like there was some kind of figure on the lid, from what I can tell it looks like the feet of a bird. I'm most interested in finding out what was on the lid, and procuring one with the figure intact.

View attachment 205716

Seam to the lip of the bottle

View attachment 205717

Bottom is marked "Federal law prohibits sale or reuse of this bottle" closer to the the edges. This should place it between 1935-1964 based on what I've read. "D90 12 A 60" in the center, don't know what any of that means, as well as a "3" or "5", which I can't make out or get a good photo of, the the far right of the center text.

View attachment 205718

Any help would be greatly appreciated.. I don't know much about bottles outside of what I've learned while doing some research on this thing. My plan for it was to make it into a closed-system terrarium, but that narrow neck is going to be a pain. Thanks for your time.
D90 is the Distillery code.... 12 is probably the permit #
A in a circle………Armstrong Cork Company (Glass Division), Lancaster, Pennsylvania; Millville, New Jersey [former Whitall Tatum Co. plant] ; Dunkirk, Indiana [former Hart Glass Mnfg Co. plant]. Mark was used from 1938-1969 on bottles and insulators. If there is a line underneath the “circled A”, this indicates the bottle was produced at the Dunkirk plant...... 60 is the date code

Last edited:

yacorie

Reaction score
Kümmel produced figural bottles - most notably the kümmel bears. My guess is whatever value the bottle had was in the broken lid.

Honkbonkington

Reaction score
D90 is the Distillery code.... 12 is probably the permit #
A in a circle………Armstrong Cork Company (Glass Division), Lancaster, Pennsylvania; Millville, New Jersey [former Whitall Tatum Co. plant] ; Dunkirk, Indiana [former Hart Glass Mnfg Co. plant]. Mark was used from 1938-1969 on bottles and insulators. If there is a line underneath the “circled A”, this indicates the bottle was produced at the Dunkirk plant...... 60 is the date code

Is there any way I can look into what liquor companies they supplied at that time that you'd know of?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimk26