Maps

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

dygger60

Reaction score
These Sanborn maps I hear a lot about....what were they and where do ya think I could find one? My wife and I just closed on a house and property from 1859...and I wanna find where the outhousemay have been located.... Thanks for any help folks David

ACLbottles

Reaction score
I don't know if they are sold, but you can go online and look up the map from you city, and I guess you could print it out if you wanted to. Good luck!

ScottBSA

Reaction score
Sanborn Insurance maps are available online for some towns. I would look up Altamont Sanborn map online and see what happens. They generally have commercial structures and surrounding residential structures. If you house is fairly far away from the business section of town they may not be on them. If you can't find one online, your local library or historical society may have them in a reference section.The ones I have seen for Kansas City and Independence, MO have structures as small as stables on them. Depending on how big your back and side yards are and if they have been covered in sidewalks or garages, it may be easy enough to look for sunken spots in your yard. Scott

sunrunner

Reaction score
sanborn insurance map only go as far back as 1870s or so,but if your house had an outhouse up then it woud put you in the right airea .

solitarycanary

Reaction score
The outhouse would have been about 50 feet downwind from the house. In several places. In a house that old there should be several pits. I can sometimes feel the difference under my feet when I walk over an abandoned pit. If you can't find it on the map. Get a metal detector.

And as far as locating the map for your area it depends: they can be bought online, and found for free at the library. I couldn't locate them online when I lived in Atlanta but here in nc, the university published them online for free. It depends on where you live. You are guaranteed to find them at your library.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter