Medicine bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

botil

Reaction score
Can anyone help to identify this medicine bottle...? age, company, etc.
Embossed 3 and 7 inside de cross.
11 cms high/hexagonal hinge mold/pontiled/hand finished lip.

Ay73937.jpg

Attachments

• Ay73937.jpg
    Ay73937.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 48

botil

Reaction score
The bottom

Vt57224.jpg

Attachments

• Vt57224.jpg
    Vt57224.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 47

botil

Reaction score
The top (with a chip)

Wu60322.jpg

Attachments

• Wu60322.jpg
    Wu60322.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 47

WhiteLighting

Reaction score
purple ting is due to the sunlight,so you know its old..looks like a English make/type of Med bottle....
The lip type is named "Disc" ,anyone correct me if im wrong- noone can be right all the time but atleast you give it a go old chap...lol,.......

can you explain the embossing/describe what is on it on the sides also?...

GuntherHess

Reaction score
That's a tough one. You come up with some rare bottles. The Caduceus symbol definately shows it was medicinal. It looks like clear flint glass but its hard to tell if there in no color from the photo. The flared lip looks very early. It's possible the 37 is a date , as in 1837, which would match the style of the bottle but that's just a guess. It seems like some type of early pharmacy bottle or a bottle out of a doctors kit. Sorry, I really cant tell you much about it, I havent seen anything similar.

botil

Reaction score
On the right: The traditional symbol of medicine. The staff of Asclepius is a single serpent encircling a staff, classicaly a rough-hewn knotty tree limb.
On the left: The cadeceus of Hermes is a short rod entwined by two snakes and topped by a pair of wings (not in this bottle). Most of organisations using this symbol are generally either commercial or military (or American), not medicine.
From early 16th century onwards, the staff of Asclepius and the cadeceus of Hermes were widely used as printer's marks especially as frontispieces to pharmacopoeias in the 17th and 18th centuries. Over time the road and serpent (the Asclepian staff) emerged as an independent symbol of medicine.
Is it American, English, Continental,...? I don't know.

Ca82221.jpg

Attachments

• Ca82221.jpg
    Ca82221.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 49
  • Ca82221.jpg
    Ca82221.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 46

botil

Reaction score
Yes Gunther, I agree. That's a tough one. I've searched for years but i haven't found out any information about the company, the country or the medicine contained in it.
The central picture is in my opinion a representation of THE TREE OF KNOWLEDGE, related to Adam, Eve and the apple. Maybe conected with the Bible and the Christian world. Furthermore, the other two embossed sides show that was a medicine product with a commercial interest ... or maybe military...or... I don't know.
Thanks for help.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I've heard that tree called "the tree of life".
You meantioned military...I was thinking that too, maybe Napolianic Wars?
Is where you found it any clue? If you got it in Europe its not likely to be American.

CanadianBoy

Reaction score
Gunther's got the right question,was it dug,where did you aquire it.It almost looks like a bottle that was made for a special order.
Made to impress whoever saw it,its a beautiful item.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Webster